The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Collings vs. Santa Cruz
Collings 86 33.86%
Santa Cruz 113 44.49%
Not Sure 55 21.65%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohara View Post
Always seen Tony playing a Martin when it really matters... never seen Conan playing anything other than a Gibson... never heard of Adam Aijala, but I'm only one person on the planet, after all...

I do pay attention... very closely. I'm starting to think the boutiques are for the folk that want to be able to tell people they own one...

Prove me wrong.
I wouldn't say Tony plays a Martin "when it matters". He's addressed the question in various interviews and in the new bio about him (which I highly recommend, by the way). There was a period when he was primarily playing the SCs, but a few years ago he decided to take the Martin out of its vault and play that for the most part. It's as simple as that.

Also, the SC Tony Rice models are said to be voiced better for "newgrass" and more modern styles, and Tony has been playing more traditional material lately, especially in the Quartet. He's on tour this summer with a version of the Unit, and it would be interesting to see what guitar he's using.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to think the boutiques are for the folk that want to be able to tell people they own one...

Prove me wrong.

A matter of opinion cannot be disproved. No point in trying.

If you want to feel good about playing a factory made guitar, who am I to say you shouldn't? Right. No one.

Enjoy your guitar kohara.

Daniel (2001 Santa Cruz Guitar Company 1942 Bluegrass D)

Last edited by DNestler; 05-26-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Something I forgot to add about the Santa Cruz Guitar Company that I've always been impressed with is how many world class luthiers how been trained by and come out of the SCGC shop, Traugott, McAlister, Maingard, Claxton, Shanti Guitars, and others.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM

this shootout should probably be settled in a Super Bowl commercial.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
zeebee

Quote:
Why do no major artists, absolutely none (besides Lyle Lovett) play Collings or Santa Cruz? There's gotta be a reason for that???

Regarding acoustics... I'm watching a DVD of Neil Young playing some fabulous Martins... I have others with David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Emmylou Harris, Graham Nash, Joe Walsh, Chet Atkins and Jackson Browne playing Gibsons, JT playing an Olson, Mac McAnally, Steve Howe, David Crosby, Dan Fogelberg, Joni Mitchell and Stephen Stills playing Martins...

Why?
You know there was this guy who use to work in our mailroom....30 years and he never made it out....he use to always ask "why" about everything.
Just saying...kinda reminds me.
Go play one ...like it buy it. Dont like it dont buy it...dont worry what your favorite rock star is playing cause you cant play like them anyways.
Maybe those guys are like you...worry too much about what their peers will think when they read the label. Truth is when theyre plugged in, it doesnt matter too much. The electronics carry the weight. So might as well play a "label" geet.
My ears tell me the guitars made by the small guys are better in almost all models so that is all I need to know.

Last edited by zeebee; 07-31-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

the santa cruz 00 i played sounded better to my ears than any similar sized guitar i've ever played. felt good, too.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM

My vote would certainly go to Santa Cruz, but only because they introduced the 1929 series 00 and 000's this past year. Those guitars are amazing. I have only tried a few collings guitars and have always been more impressed by the Martin ge's and a's that they are modeled after.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM

Got to go with Santa Cruz for me. I just love the expressiveness, sweet mids and trebles and the resonance of the light build. I agree that Collings makes a great guitar, though not with the voice that goes best with my playing. I also agree that they are visually gorgeous.

As for artists and their instruments, I think most have several instruments that they use in various settings and for various purposes. I doubt the instruments we see on stage are the same ones that are used in the studio. Artisan Guitars in Nashville reports that Santa Cruz guitars see a lot of recording time in Nashville studios for what it's worth.

Rich
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM

The ones that I have tried from either brand were all somewhere in the excellent-to-superb range. I don't see one brand as better or more prestigious than the other. It would come down to the individual instrument. On a given day in a given shop the best new acoustic could be anything.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I own one of each. I voted "Not sure".
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM

Hard choice

But my favorite guitar would be Santa Cruz, H13 Sunburst Slot Head
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 AM

At the moment, the poll shows that SC has a small but clear lead over Collings. SC may very well be more popular than Collings, after all.

Which begs the question.... why is Collings resale value better than SC?

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Maybe all the Collings guys are over at the Collings forum.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Yeah, I guess any poll or survey is just as good as its samples.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Trow View Post

I've found more consistency in the SCs.

I have found the consistency amongst Martin's to be outstanding, in fact, the most consistent!

As for Collings, they are almost always beautiful to look at, but rarely match their visual splendor when played, the exception being when you do find a "good one"

The Santa Cruz's, while not as visually striking, always seem to deliver the sound/feel/tones that I'm looking for (consistency).
If I have learned anything about acoustic guitars over the years, it is that evreyone hears and feels things differently, sometimes completely differently.

The quote above is a perfect example. My experience is completely opposite from Benoit's experience. Please note that I am not saying Benoit is wrong and I am right, I am just pointing out the astounding degree to which we each differ from one another when it comes to acoustic guitars.
LC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion