The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM

Default Safely Removing Under Saddle Pickup

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new Martin OM which has had a Fishman Matrix pickup installed - I have know interest in plugging the guitar in at any point and would rather have no magnetic strip under the saddle muffling any vibrations!

Any advice on how to remove this system safely? My main concerns are:

- Removing the volume controls and battery pack - can these be gently pulled away or are they likely to be glued to the guitar's surface?

- Removing the endpin preamp - is this a case of simply unscrewing it or are there any specific measures I should take?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM

It really won't hurt anything to leave it in place. That is a lot of work, removing all of that stuff just for a small *theoretical* improvement in tone. You will also need a new saddle adjusted to the original combined height (a set up).

No disrespect intended, but why did you buy a guitar with electronics if you knew they were unwanted? That would have to be an exceptional OM to go down that road.....
Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratocaster3 View Post
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new Martin OM ...
If it is recent enough to return it for a full refund I'd do that.
Then buy a guitar with no PU.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 PM

I've bought two used guitars that had been electrified and I don't play electric. There's no problem ripping the pickups and associated junk out. Just go slowly and carefully and you can have the guitar you wanted. You will have to cope with the enlarged jack hole in the tail piece; check the Larrivee or Taylor sites for an easy replacement.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 PM

Leave it alone. Martin designed it to sound its best either way. Its not like they woke up one day and said "Hey, lets build 10k guitars with a p/u under the saddle and not even test it out to see how it sounds". I'm sure they have teams of engineers on hand that worked all this out. And if you sell it you did not lose your big selling point to most folks.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

The Fishman Matrix UST is a "hard" UST and will affect the acoustic tone little, if any. I've installed the Fishman Matrix in several guitars, including a couple of Martin HD-28 guitars, a Huss & Dalton DS and D-RH, and couldn't hear any difference in tone. I agree with other members, leave the Matrix in place for when you plug-in.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-08-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:35 PM

It's not a big deal unless it's a factory installed system with the battery compartment accessible from the outside. The control wheels are held in place with two-sided tape and will pull off with a little effort and the battery pack is held in place with self adhesive velcro. The endpin preamp is held in place by a nut that is under the strap button which is threaded on, unscrew the button and you'll see the nut. Once you remove the nut the preamp will move easily into the body, you might have to cut the wire from the pickup at the preamp. With the saddle out the pickup will come up with the wire. The wires inside are held in place with self adhesive clips which will pull out easily
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 PM

I just pulled out an LR Baggs from my J45 and it took all of 5 minutes tops. You will need a new saddle or a shim to retain the height.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
I just pulled out an LR Baggs from my J45 and it took all of 5 minutes tops. You will need a new saddle or a shim to retain the height.
Would like to do the same with my J45. Any difference in tone?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 AM

I'm in agreement with many here and would leave it alone. If you take it out you'll need a new saddle because shimming the existing saddle defeats the object, and it is unlikely to have the optimum action if you don't.
I also have to ask why you bought a guitar having features you will not use? Was it the kind of deal you could not refuse?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion