The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Default Low fret

I just bought a new guitar. It's perfect in every way except the 14th fret of the high e string is low. How would a luthier fix this? I'm bringing it today and they said they would take care of it but I'm just curious as to how they will fix it. Could they just pop out that fret and install a new one? Would they file the rest to be equal with that? This inquiring mind would like to know...

Thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I just bought a new guitar. It's perfect in every way except the 14th fret of the high e string is low. How would a luthier fix this? I'm bringing it today and they said they would take care of it but I'm just curious as to how they will fix it. Could they just pop out that fret and install a new one? Would they file the rest to be equal with that? This inquiring mind would like to know...

Thanks
What type of guitar is it ? The reason I ask is that the 14th fret is way up the neck and unless it's a cut away model you would most likely never play that high up on the fingerboard. It may be better if you keep it as it is. Most acoustic guitars begin to taper off up near the 14th and is known as fallback or fall away. It keeps thr string from buzzing when you need to play higher up near the neck joint to body area.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D string View Post
What type of guitar is it ? The reason I ask is that the 14th fret is way up the neck and unless it's a cut away model you would most likely never play that high up on the fingerboard. It may be better if you keep it as it is. Most acoustic guitars begin to taper off up near the 14th and is known as fallback or fall away. It keeps thr string from buzzing when you need to play higher up near the neck joint to body area.
I don't know about this. If the guitar is 14 frets to the body (with no cutaway), that 14th fret would be quite reachable. If nothing else, I use it to play a D chord an octave up (with open D string). I would not be satisfied with fret buzz on that fret.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I don't know about this. If the guitar is 14 frets to the body (with no cutaway), that 14th fret would be quite reachable. If nothing else, I use it to play a D chord an octave up (with open D string). I would not be satisfied with fret buzz on that fret.

If you play that far up then you should have it looked at.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
Could they just pop out that fret and install a new one? Would they file the rest to be equal with that?
Both are viable options. Depends in part on the height of the existing frets - how much metal there is to level.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's an Eastman AC120ce. It's an awesome guitar and now it's even better. The luthier at the shop said the guy at the manufacturer must have gotten a little overzealous on that fret. 20 minutes later he fixed it and now it's awesome! He went and just filed down the rest of the frets below the 14th fret to fix it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion