The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Pros and Cons of Pinless Bridge?

Weigh in if you have an opinon/experience with these two kinds of bridges
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Weigh in if you have an opinon/experience with these two kinds of bridges
Thanks!
"These two kinds bridges" ? So are you asking the pros and cons of a pinless bridge or compare and contrast to pinned bridge?

In any case for compared. My experience it's just a pro --- the pinless is a wee bit handier to change strings and thats more or less it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-16-2024, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

No acoustic effect?
Does the pinless bridge increase or decrease pressures on the bridge? Or are they about the same?
Old 04-16-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I can't address the pressure of a pinless bridge as I have no expertise in building guitars, but it does make changing strings a touch more interesting.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 04-16-2024, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No acoustic effect?
Does the pinless bridge increase or decrease pressures on the bridge? Or are they about the same?
Again still a vague question as to if you are actually asking for a COMPARISON to a pinned bridge ??

Obviously a pinless bridge produces an acoustic effect called sound ...so I am guessing that is not the question --correct?

Again IF you are asking as COMPARED to a pinned bridge ????? Then the answer is --Impossible to know if there is an "acoustic" difference since we can't have both on the same guitar

Don't know about any pressure difference,,, my pinless Breedlove is some 20 years old and has not had any separation issues from the sound board--- if that says anything

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-16-2024, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I have a pinless bridge on my Ovation. I'm no engineer but instinct tells me it might be more prone to lifting than a pin bridge, although this has never happened to me. However, I am an expert at changing strings and I would rather change a string on a pinless than a pin bridge any six times a week and twice on Sundays, particularly on a gig. As luck would have it, the only times I've broken strings on a gig has been with my pin bridged Martin.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I can't address the pressure of a pinless bridge as I have no expertise in building guitars, but it does make changing strings a touch more interesting.
Easier with no pins, I would imagine. For a steel string. Not classical. I have finally learned how to tie classical strings so they dont slip.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easier with no pins, I would imagine. For a steel string. Not classical. I have finally learned how to tie classical strings so they dont slip.
Actually because I'm a touch clumsy, scratching the top has been a concern of mine when changing the strings on my pinless bridge guitar (McIlroy)

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Again still a vague question as to if you are actually asking for a COMPARISON to a pinned bridge ??

Obviously a pinless bridge produces an acoustic effect called sound ...so I am guessing that is not the question --correct?

Again IF you are asking as COMPARED to a pinned bridge ????? Then the answer is --Impossible to know if there is an "acoustic" difference since we can't have both on the same guitar

Don't know about any pressure difference,,, my pinless Breedlove is some 20 years old and has not had any separation issues from the sound board--- if that says anything
The question isnt that vague. What else would it be compared to? Those are the only options on a steel string acoustic. If the difference is negligible, then fine. I would imagine a luthier would have an opinion as to whether the difference is audible, and I also imagine that they could field my question easily.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually because I'm a touch clumsy, scratching the top has been a concern of mine when changing the strings on my pinless bridge guitar (McIlroy)
Don't you just slip the strings through the hole in the bridge until the ball end catches?
Old 04-16-2024, 12:00 PM

I'm just speculating now, but I had a feeling that the open airy sound of my Lowden was partly due to the pinless bridge. Something with the strings being attached to the soundboard and not through. If the string is attached through the top it seems like it would "grab" the whole top instead of dragging it, it might produce a different wave of force through the top.

I don't know, this is pure speculation. In theory it should be different, just like a slotted peghead should make a difference since the string is pushing down harder on the nut instead of dragging over it. Feels like a comparison worth taking into account. The string angle from the bridge is sharper on a pinned bridge, and also sharper on a slotted peghead.

In my head it would be better with a sharper angle since the string is "attached" tighter to the nut/bridge.

Current:
2009 Esteve 8 EIR/Romanian Spruce
2001 Fender Stratocaster vintage '62

Upcoming:
Sundberg 000-28 12 fret EIR/Sitka

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2008 Taylor GC8
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 04-16-2024, 12:11 PM

The strings get pushed "down" towards the soundboard when feeding the strings thru the bridge. It helps to have a little piece of cardboard (or something similar) that you can slide behind the bridge when installing the strings. Otherwise, you would likely see some small dents/dings in the top behind the bridge over time unless you are very careful.

Tonally, I don't think there is much difference. Pinned bridges allow some variation in tone due to switching out bridge pins (I attribute this to weight rather than material). The fit is also important with pinned bridges and that is a possible area where a poor fitting pin can negatively affect tone. Pinless bridges have the advantage of not having wear on the bridge plate -- I solve this on my guitars by simply slotting the bridge, which is much better for the bridge plate than using slotted bridge pins. There is more "peeling" force for pinless bridges but I don't believe that really impacts the tone ... it is more just a potential negative if the bridge glue joint starts to fail. In other words, if your pinless bridge glue joint begins to have a gap ... detune immediately and get it repaired.

It really comes down to preference ... I think a pinned bridge is faster to change strings (if the bridge itself is slotted). No risk of damage behind the bridge and I prefer the look. But none of those things are really pros/cons enough to matter at all. In other words, my conclusion is that it is simply a different and viable alternative to a pinned bridge. Both approaches are completely equal, IMO, so long as they are competently done.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:53 PM

Here's an older multi-page thread.

Here's a shorter newer one.

Another multi-page thread.

Another one.

Another short one.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-16-2024, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
The strings get pushed "down" towards the soundboard when feeding the strings thru the bridge. It helps to have a little piece of cardboard (or something similar) that you can slide behind the bridge when installing the strings. Otherwise, you would likely see some small dents/dings in the top behind the bridge over time unless you are very careful.

Tonally, I don't think there is much difference. Pinned bridges allow some variation in tone due to switching out bridge pins (I attribute this to weight rather than material). The fit is also important with pinned bridges and that is a possible area where a poor fitting pin can negatively affect tone. Pinless bridges have the advantage of not having wear on the bridge plate -- I solve this on my guitars by simply slotting the bridge, which is much better for the bridge plate than using slotted bridge pins. There is more "peeling" force for pinless bridges but I don't believe that really impacts the tone ... it is more just a potential negative if the bridge glue joint starts to fail. In other words, if your pinless bridge glue joint begins to have a gap ... detune immediately and get it repaired.

It really comes down to preference ... I think a pinned bridge is faster to change strings (if the bridge itself is slotted). No risk of damage behind the bridge and I prefer the look. But none of those things are really pros/cons enough to matter at all. In other words, my conclusion is that it is simply a different and viable alternative to a pinned bridge. Both approaches are completely equal, IMO, so long as they are competently done.
Thank you Simon. I am a fan BTW.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Here's an older multi-page thread.

Here's a shorter newer one.

Another multi-page thread.

Another one.

Another short one.
Excellent. Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop