The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2002, 08:07 AM

Default 310CE, 410, 510CE - Help!

Hi all,

I'm very close to getting my first Taylor! Last night, I spent about 2 hours at my local dealer's playing the 310CE, 410, and a used 510CE. Here are my findings: Please tell me if I'm crazy!

310CE - 2nd brightest, 2nd fullest
410 - Least bright and full, tightest bass
510CE - By far most full and bright

I like the 510CE the best, but even though it's used it's significantly more expensive than the new 410 (I know we can't discuss pricing). I'm leaning towards the 310CE or 410 (I'm also considering the whole warranty issue). It seemed to me that the 410 sounded more "dull" than the 310. Is this possible? Am I hearing things? Any comments appreciated! Thanks!

Matt
Old 11-15-2002, 08:20 AM

I just bought a 312CE. I played the 412 and 312, and I thought the 312 sounded much better. Of course thats a personal choice, that could easily be different to others.

But I think its hard to top the sound of my 710CE LTD. lol
Old 11-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You aren't crazy.

My observations only. The 410 is made of Ovankol which sounds much like rosewood: full and throaty with an upper-mid edge. Ovankol's upper-midrange bark is harder than rosewood's. The 310 is made of sapele which sounds much like mahogany, more delicate and brighter in the high end than rosewood.

In the 510ce you would have both fullness and brightness, as well as a little more refined sound than either of the above. If it is a revoiced example, you would have even more fullness.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2002, 09:39 AM

Default Re: 310CE, 410, 510CE - Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by EWSEthan
I like the 510CE the best
Buy the one you like the best otherwise you will always have that gnawing feeling. Really, trust me, I know firsthand. It will be less expensive in the long run, too.

Try and get your hands on a new re-voiced 2002 Fall LTD 510 before making up your mind.

Have fun!!

And, Matt, welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:58 AM

EWSEthan

Hear are a few thoughts:

1. Figure out the life cycle cost of each guitar, not the up-front capital. Estimate how long you will own the guitar, then divide the price by the number of days to arrive at a cost-per-day of the guitar.

2. If you like the 510ce best, you can save a few bucks by finding a basic 510 no c,no e. Do you really need the both of those options. You can always add the "e" later (but not the "c")

3. You might want to check out the fall limiteds. 310 maple, 410, imbuia.

4. Sounds like you have a good ear and a case of "requirements creep". You better not risk trying an 810.

Charlie
Larrivee OMV-50
Larrivee LJ05-12,
Seagull s6,
Dauphin 30,
Godin Kingpin
Old 11-15-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Re: 310CE, 410, 510CE - Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by meridian

Buy the one you like the best otherwise you will always have that gnawing feeling. Really, trust me, I know firsthand. It will be less expensive in the long run, too.

Try and get your hands on a new re-voiced 2002 Fall LTD 510 before making up your mind.

Have fun!!

And, Matt, welcome to the Forum!
That says it all.

Go with your heart. What's a few extra $ over the years of satisfaction and enjoyment you will have knowing that you're palying the guitar the spoke to you personally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion