The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2002, 12:12 PM

Default Taylor dealers, advertising, pricing

Excuse me, I am knew here and this may a subject that has long since been hashed and rehashed, here. But, maybe someone can help me on this one. I posted this in another thread and it was suggested that I start a separate thread.

I listened to Taylors, among many others at a Guitar Center, and have decided on a 414 ce. I keep hearing how Taylor is very strict about pricing and there was a vague mention of advertising practices in another thread. How is Taylor different from other makers in this regard?

I see on the Taylor site the list of dealers and the vast majority, at least in my area, are chain stores. I have been advised to avoid buying this guitar at a chain store (service issues?). I have also looked to the net and found several "hits" when using Taylor as a key word. But, when you go to their sites it seems they have listed about every make of guitar EXCEPT Taylor. Does this have something to do with Taylor policy? I know that in the higher-end audio "game" prices are often NOT posted because dealers do not want to butt heads with manufacturers about price, but they DO have the brands and models listed with a "CALL FOR PRICE" notation. I am not trying to look for "rock bottom-gray market prices" by any means and I do appreciate the benefit of local dealer support. I just like the idea of some honest, spirited competition and wonder if I am just not looking in the right directions.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey, welcome to the new thread!

Ill try to answer as succinctly and objectively as possible on just the questions youve asked.

Taylor is different from other makers because they forbid pricing of new or used instruments in advertisements, both online and in print, and you cannot even mention that you carry Taylor on a website.

People advise against buying from a chain because of service issues as well as sometimes they neglect the conditioning of the guitar in the store.

The reason you cant find the mention of Taylor on the net is because of their policy forbidding it.

The best places to look, honestly, are the Taylor site (get a list of authorized dealers) and this forum. I, as well as many other members, would be more than willing to carry on email correspondence with you to help you find the best price for your guitar as well as the best place to get one.

My email is [email protected] and you can feel free to contact me anytime...

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 11-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Guitar Gourmet

One nice thing about the Taylor dealer policy is that, even if you can't advertise 'em, you can sell 'em as cheap as you want, so deals are out there!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2002, 04:47 AM

As far as the chain stores issue goes, disregard your "advise" and find out for yourself. One of the main reasons why so many people dislike these chain stores is from what other people have said and not from their own experience.

Yes, there have been some bad experiences shared here on the TGF. But there also have been good ones shared as well. The problem is, when someone has a bad experience, they tell everyone as loudly as possible, as a type of "revenge". When someone has a great experience, they usually enjoy it and are on their merry way. Sure, they might share that experience with a friend if it comes up in conversation, but they're not going to "shout it from the rooftops" the way they would if it was bad.

My advice:
Go to all the stores in your area, regardless of nat'l chain or mom and pop status, play the guitars you're looking for and get the one that speaks to you. Don't pass up a great guitar just because you don't like the name on the front of the building according to what someone told you. Try these stores out for yourself. Every once in a while, one of the larger chain stores will have someone there who knows what they're talking about.

Here's what you do to get the best of both worlds: If you find a Taylor at one of the chain stores that really speaks to you, put it on layaway as soon as your done playing. You can always cancel and get all your money back if you change your mind. Then, do a bunch of calling and emailing to stores that have VERY competitive prices(Buffalo Bros., Guitar Trader, Elderly's, and many more can be suggested by other forum members). Get the best price possible quoted to you(like in an email printed out) and take that with you when you go back to buy the guitar! Those chain stores have a price match policy that they tout and this is a way to stick it to 'em!

This works quite well. I know from experience, first hand. Just don't cheat yourself on finding the right guitar just because it's at a chain store. You never know what you'll find! Just ask "meridian", he just got a superb deal on a GSST, from a chain store!

-Mike A.

BTW, the mom and pop store in my area sucks. They have nothing but unkind words to say about their competition, they lie about their success to make them look good, their prices are the same as the chain store, and they don't price match at all, let alone deal on prices. Nevermind the fact that the owner has no idea about the Taylor line, yet he "professes" his "knowledge" as if he knows everything. Case in point: He's called this year's and last year's Fall LTD's "The Legends of the Fall" limiteds. The sad thing is he still has "new" guitars from the LOTF series!
Old 11-15-2002, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, there have been some bad experiences shared here on the TGF. But there also have been good ones shared as well. The problem is, when someone has a bad experience, they tell everyone as loudly as possible, as a type of "revenge". When someone has a great experience, they usually enjoy it and are on their merry way. Sure, they might share that experience with a friend if it comes up in conversation, but they're not going to "shout it from the rooftops" the way they would if it was bad.

Mike A, you are exactly right. There's always some variance in statistics, but conventional wisdom says a person with a bad experience tell 24 people (and typically with a great deal of passion). A person with a good experience tells only 4 (and yes, probably is just a brief mention).

Here's what that means: in order to get a stellar reputation for customer service, you have to work 6 times as hard - just to break even
Old 11-15-2002, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike A.
their prices are the same as the chain store, and they don't price match at all, let alone deal on prices
I used to work in a friend's small shop and, in defense of the "Mom & Pop", it's not always possible (in fact, it's rare in my experience) for them to match the price of a major chain.

Undoubtedly, though, they usually make up for it with an increased level of customer service...

Steve
Old 11-16-2002, 07:58 AM

Oh Steve, I understand completely where you're coming from. But I mean with respect to Taylors, specifically. They should have no problem seeing as how the chain stores have a built in "administrative cushion" that they add to cost to pay for corporate. That's lost profit that the mom and pops and small independents kill the big chains with all the time! It's great for them!

Unfortunately, there are other manufacturers that offer volume discounts that the smaller guys will never see and they usually pay more than what the big chains sell them for. It's quite unfair if you ask me.

-Mike A.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion