The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Brand New Taylor + Nanos = Dull Tone ?

I hate to say this, but yesterday I was playing my new Z14 and it sounded kind of dull. Not much sustain and seemingly less volume than when I first played it (extensively) in the shop. I've noticed speculation on TGF about the possibility that the Nanoweb strings shipped on brand new guitars may be a culprit in impairing the tone of the 810LTD's.

Do any of you new owners of "factory-fresh" guitars think that the combination of an unexercised top and the Nanos dulls the tone of new guitars?

If so, I might just replace the factory strings before they're played out. It could also just be that the top hasn't started to open up, but if that's it, why did it sound louder and clearer in the shop?

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 11-13-2002, 11:52 AM

Diamonds always look better in the display case than at the restaurant afterward. The next time I buy a guitar I'm going to bring mine in to the shop so I can maintain an honest point of reference as I compare. Otherwise it's apples to oranges. In other words, you can't bring the guitar shop to your house, so...

Also, with any big purchase, it's super easy to have swings between elation and buyer's remorse. Let it settle in for a while and see which emotion wins out.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:54 AM

I think it's possible.The whole string and tone perceptions can be confusing to me sometimes. One thing I have realized with my 810 is that all guitars do not like the same strings, making it impossible for me to have exclusive brand loyalty with strings. With my 410 I loved Drs, with my 810 I am not so sure about the DRs. On my 810 I hated the Nanos, but they and the polywebs sounded pretty good on my 712. The different wood combos seem enhanced or stifed by different strings. And so the experiment continues...

it does'nt help that I am blessed/cursed with a real critical ear. but I agree with the above poster, let it settle in, that is advice I should have followed with my 810

JG
Old 11-13-2002, 12:07 PM

Dont like Nanos on a 14, Dont like Nanos on a 10, They sound OK on a Seagull. I call them NoNos JW
Old 11-13-2002, 12:16 PM

The jury is still out on that one for me. I purchased my 814 with non coated strings on it ,I can't remember what they were. the store I purchased it from put new strings on it for me before I even got to play it. I bought the guitar sight unseen over the phone which is another story. The guitar, after I played it a bit and got used to it really sounded amazing to me. I should note that the guitar was new but was actually a year old having been in the shop I am assuming for a few months. The top may have opened up I reaaly am not sure how much it was played.

Anyway, I was going along my merry way enjoying the guitar when I decided it was time to change the strings. I had never tried the Elixers so I thought i would give them a shot. So I bought them and put them on the guitar. My first reaction was literally "what happened to my beautiful guitar!" It was as if it had been muted and all the great resonant overtones were gone. Well, I figured I can always change them back and since I spent around $15 for them I would give them a shot. Well that was several months ago and they are still on there.

What does this all mean? I am not totally sure. I know I have had a pair of 12s on my strat for about 3 years now and haven't gotten around to changing them. I guess aside from being lazy, I have gotten used to the way the guitar sounds with the Elixers and now I think the guitar sounds great and I love the way the coated strings play. I think I have become a more dynamic player because of them (in terms of slides and such).

Does the guitar sound better? No, I think it just sounds different. I think the coated strings have there advantage for playing perhaps (power steering vs non power streeting). I think they record well using a mic. And they certainly do last longer (good for us lazy types) and are more consistant in their sound I think the uncoated strings sound better in terms of bringing more sound out of the guitar which can be perceived as sounding better.

I found with uncoated strings to be a window in which they sounded the best but the window was only for a week or so depending on how much you played. For me it was somewhere between new and dead and this was sometimes hard to predict. It is really great when you are there but it can be short lived. The coated strings don't seem to have a window.

I guess to sum it all up it depends on what you are after. In my opinion you do sacrifice a little bit of sound quality with the coated strings but you gain in consistancy for a much longer period of time. Its a bit of a trade off either way.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:16 PM

Store acoustics and playing are totally different from home acoustics and playing.

The NoNo's ( ) on the 810 were TOO bright. I think it is a matter of giving the guitar and your ear some acclimation time.

That said I prefer Polys on a 14.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Brand New Taylor + Nanos = Dull Tone ?

Quote:
Originally posted by GSnyde
why did it sound louder and clearer in the shop?
The one thing you must remember when buying a guitar in the store is the acoustics of the room. Not just the walls but remember all the other guitars hanging around and on stands. If you have ever talked while you hold your guitar with the sould hole anywhere you can see it you will notice a reverb of your voice. Now imagine a room full of guitars with the soundholes in clear veiw that are amplifying the guitar your playing. That sound is hitting every guitar in the room like a bunch of little speakers. If you have a doubt play the guitar in the room full of guitars then walk over where the keep the electric amps or keyboards and try it agian. Most guitar stores will place the lower line of guitars on the bottom or on stands on the floor with the soundholes pointing at the high end guitars. Youve been amped JW
Old 11-13-2002, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JW
Dont like Nanos on a 14, Dont like Nanos on a 10, They sound OK on a Seagull. I call them NoNos JW
JW, I think you have just coined a new forum term, that is hilarious!

JG
Old 11-13-2002, 12:29 PM

I put the NoNos an my 510, hated the way it sounded with 'em...All bright, all the time, no real tone. Got Polys on there now, and the jury's still out...hated 'em at first, but am beginning to like them, I think. I still LOVE the way they feel....
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 11-13-2002, 12:30 PM

There is no buyer's remorse here. I am just trying to assess whether different strings will make a big difference. I also like Elixers on some guitars but not others, so I think I'll try Pearse strings ("give Pearce a chance" as Meridian says) on the Z14.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 11-13-2002, 02:31 PM

The problem is, the only way to really tell what string you like best is to string up two identical guitars with two different strings and compare them. I've been using nanos on my 414 and my Martin D-15. I think they sound great. The 414 has opened up quite a bit. I think it would sound fantstic with any string.

When I first bought the 414, it had Polys on it, which I continued to use for about the first year. I though they sounded fine too. It's just one of those subjective "Oppinion" things, I guess.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:36 PM

yeah I don't like the nonos either
Old 11-13-2002, 02:37 PM

... though they might sound better on one of those new fangled coccobulumba guitars....
Old 11-13-2002, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GSnyde
I am just trying to assess whether different strings will make a big difference.
But you're still using the same strings that were on it in the store, right? That's why I was thinking it was either the acoustics or else the 'morning after' syndrome. Glad you're happy with your purchase!
Old 11-13-2002, 02:56 PM

if you dont like coated strings, good old martin sp phosphor's for me.
Dean Tradition QS12 GN Maple
Alvarez RD30sSB
Gilb Flamenco Nylon

"One lucky man, With my feet in the sand, Tonight I just need... My Guitar."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion