The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 12:27 PM

Default What's Up With "Talk Me Out Of "...

I am new here but I've read threads for years. I find it odd that anyone would post a "talk me out of" (pick any guitar) thread, on a guitar forum that has the highest concentration of GAS enablers I've ever seen. Like I said, I've loitered around here for years and I've never once seen anyone talked out of anything here. Quite the opposite..... Now, talk me out of. . . . . . . .

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-28-2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

It's a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing like when a drunk at the bar implores others to talk him out of the next drink...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-28-2024, 01:24 PM

Just for fun.

Rb
Old 03-28-2024, 01:28 PM

I think it's just a more provocative way of asking to be convinced to buy a certain guitar.

Humans...
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 03-28-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I am new here but I've read threads for years. I find it odd that anyone would post a "talk me out of" (pick any guitar) thread, on a guitar forum that has the highest concentration of GAS enablers I've ever seen. Like I said, I've loitered around here for years and I've never once seen anyone talked out of anything here. Quite the opposite..... Now, talk me out of. . . . . . . .
Welcome, LAP! It's a joke. No one wants anyone to talk them out of anything, and no one expects anyone to talk anyone out of anything.

I do recall one exception, over at the Telecaster forum. Someone wanted to know whether it was worth it to drive two hours each way to pay $200 for a $300 guitar when all he wanted was the neck.

It was a silly idea, and it was easy to talk him off the ledge. In fact, it was the only time I've ever seen everyone on a three-page thread there agree on something.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:20 PM
Runaway Tomato

I posted a “talk me out of” post years ago, but was quite serious. I saw/played an instrument that was perfect for me, and I wanted it. I wanted people that had owned or played the same guitar to share with me some of its long-term problems, if the company was ok, were they happy with it after a few years, things like that. I think it was my first Taylor.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-28-2024, 02:20 PM

Sometimes people are looking to see if there are any issues they don't know about before they make the purchase.

Other times, people want to make the purchase but for many reasons they are not certain about it. By putting it in a thread, it is a mental switch that makes it "real" and they almost have to buy it at that point.

And other people are just joking.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It's a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing like when a drunk at the bar implores others to talk him out of the next drink...
Tongue-in-cheek huh..........?
Old 03-28-2024, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I almost talked myself out of posting to this thread...
Old 03-28-2024, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I'm with you. Why not just say: "What are your opinions/experiences with" (...guitar) and use the resulting information to help you in your personal decision making process. If you decide to get that guitar let us all know about it and thank those who helped you make that decision. If you didn't get it, none of us need to know that. I don't know how to respond to someone who asks me to help them make a decision not to do something. I don't even want to know that they didn't want to make that decision in the first place. I certainly don't want to be asked to help them not make it. This is probably just because I'm old. I keep discovering that words and phrases don't mean what I learned they meant back before I can clearly remember what I learned. Someone talk me out of trying to remember when I learned how to talk

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany

Last edited by oldrocker; 03-28-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Right, it's a conceit, they just want to talk about the guitar, generally.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 03-28-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
I'm with you. Why not just say: "What are your opinions/experiences with" (...guitar) and use the resulting information to help you in your personal decision making process. If you decide to get that guitar let us all know about it and thank those who helped you make that decision. If you didn't get it, none of us need to know that. I don't know how to respond to someone who asks me to help them make a decision not to do something. I don't even want to know that they didn't want to make that decision in the first place. I certainly don't want to be asked to help them not make it. This is probably just because I'm old. I keep discovering that words and phrases don't mean what I learned they meant back before I can clearly remember what I learned. Someone talk me out of trying to remember when I learned how to talk
Because then somebody would come along and post, "what's up with all these tell me your opinion/experience threads. Why don't people just go play the guitar themselves?" threads.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Because then somebody would come along and post, "what's up with all these tell me your opinion/experience threads. Why don't people just go play the guitar themselves?" threads.
Wow! That's an excellent idea! But then we'd all be so busy there wouldn't be time to post anything on the AGF and life wouldn't be nearly as fun

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 03-28-2024, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I have never posted one of those threads, but if I did, it would be a genuinely serious request.

First, if I posted a thread like that, it would not be over some $500 instrument. I can live with a $500 mistake here and there, so it would be asked only if I’m considering a $3k or more commitment. A $3k or more commitment is harder to digest if it turns out to be a mistake…

Second, I want to know what real enthusiasts think, from their own experiences…Google reviews can be from anyone. The majority of folks here on the AGF are a bit more serious about their playing and their instruments.

There have been times when I poked fun at the “cork sniffers” on this site, but in reality I appreciate the ones who offer honest assessments, and most of them do. If they get offended by my humor, which is obviously quite brilliant and overwhelmingly charming, then they don’t know how to have a good time! They should drink more! Or perhaps less…

The point is, I have no point, other than I do not wish to spend a considerable amount of money on what most serious or reputable players consider a dud.

Yes, I have been drinking tonight. Thanks. I’m having fun random posting.

Rock on, you filthy savages!
Old 03-28-2024, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
First, if I posted a thread like that, it would not be over some $500 instrument. I can live with a $500 mistake here and there, so it would be asked only if I’m considering a $3k or more commitment. A $3k or more commitment is harder to digest if it turns out to be a mistake…
One person's $500 guitar is another's $3,000 guitar...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion