The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 07:32 AM

Default Best way to go about appraising

Hello everyone! I'm not as well versed in the world of guitars as I am with other things, but am now tasked in doing research into appraising a vintage guitar that was in my late father's (was his stepfather's) possession. We finally were able to check it out late last year. It's a 1946 Martin D28. It looks to be in very nice condition, well better than the main one that comes up with.

I don't know if it's worth it to hang onto it (value will go up?) or the best way to go about appraising it. We're in the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

https://imgur.com/a/EK4inzP

Last edited by TomB'sox; 03-25-2024 at 07:39 AM. Reason: you can not sell in the general forum.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The best way would be via an in-hand appraisal with a vintage guitar expert. However, to get in the ballpark you could email Gruhn's Guitars. George could give you an appraisal based upon a more comprehensive selection of pics. Here is what you'd need, from the website:
Appraisals from Gruhn Guitars
Your musical instrument is more than just a piece of wood -- it's an investment. A written appraisal from Gruhn Guitars protects your investment by establishing the value of your guitar in the current market, which is valuable information for your banker, insurance agent and your peace of mind.
George Gruhn has been buying and selling used instruments since 1963, and Gruhn Guitars, established in 1970, was one of the first stores devoted to vintage and used fretted instrument sales. He is recognized worldwide as a leading expert on vintage guitars, mandolins and banjos. He brings over 50 years of experience to an instrument appraisal, as well as the decades of experience of the Gruhn staff members.
Online Appraisal Service
Appraisals are available by uploading the following to our secure appraisal site. Please see the online appraisal submission form further below:
  • Front and back photos of the instrument (required). Additional photos can be uploaded in order to include detailed photos if necessary. Please limit file size to 25MB.
  • Serial number
  • Description of modifications, repairs and other issues not apparent from photos
  • Credit card information for $75 appraisal fee
  • Mailing address
  • Email address
I hope that helps.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:17 AM

You are in a major city with numerous guitar stores. Take it over to Pittsburgh Guitars, a long-standing Martin dealer, and have the guitar praised. Otherwise, I would call Martin and ask them who they would advise to have it appraised in your area.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-25-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:24 AM

Thank you for the replies! I've reached out to Pittsburgh Guitars as a starting point!
Old 03-25-2024, 08:30 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

That is a very desirable guitar! I'm sure you've seen similar guitar listings upwards of $30k+, and that's for one that's not in 'very good' condition.

Come back and let us know what you find out!
Old 03-25-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenixhex311 View Post
Thank you for the replies! I've reached out to Pittsburgh Guitars as a starting point!
Haven't actually heard of Pittsburgh guitars (doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing), but Acoustic Music Works is also in Pittsburgh and handles lots of high-end and vintage instruments.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-25-2024, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that’s one of the last herringbone D-28’s and is sure to garner plenty of attention. A guitar like that is going to sell for top dollar and there’s probably nobody better to appraise it than George Gruhn. As far as future value goes…it’s hard to say but there has been a recent softening in vintage guitar prices….not so much in highly desirable pieces but the market for such a guitar is shrinking a bit. Personally, I’d sell sooner rather than later if I wasn’t playing it.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:53 AM

Hi thenixhex311

Congrats to you and your family that you all have such a wonderful guitar in your midst!

It is a very valuable, and potentially VERY very valuable guitar depending on certain aspects of it's condition.

It would really be worth it for you to consider making a 2 or 3 day week day or weekend trek to either Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville, or The Music Emporium in Lexington Mass, for an "in hand" inspection and appraisal. It's a long drive, either way, I know, but that guitar is really really worth the effort to get as accurate an appraisal as possible.

I would call each of those two shops and discuss it with them, and see what they think, and then maybe choose whichever one you feel most comfortable with to schedule an in hand inspection/appraisal.

That guitar really does deserve your best efforts to find out, as accurately as possible, what kind of overall shape it is in, and what it is currently worth on the market...even if you folks intend to keep it in the family...for insurance purposes, or, even if you are considering selling it at some point in time.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-25-2024, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
A guitar like that is going to sell for top dollar and there’s probably nobody better to appraise it than George Gruhn.
He did literally write the book.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Wow, that’s one of the last herringbone D-28’s and is sure to garner plenty of attention. A guitar like that is going to sell for top dollar and there’s probably nobody better to appraise it than George Gruhn...

Yes...I agree...Gruhn's would tend to be my first choice...but The Music Emporium would likely be a very close second in your part of the US.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-25-2024, 11:06 AM

There are many of these on Reverb from 1966 and surrounding years. The ones that have no damage or major repairs have asking prices in the area of $4000 more or less. Examples for sale in Japan can be $2000-3000 more.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51 View Post
There are many of these on Reverb from 1966 and surrounding years. The ones that have no damage or major repairs have asking prices in the area of $4000 more or less. Examples for sale in Japan can be $2000-3000 more.
The OP asked about a 1946 D28. I will purchase from you, right now, any number of 1946 Martin D-28s IN ANY CONDITION, for $4,000 each. That number is not enough for the deposit.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Looking at the second picture it appears to have had work around the bridge but still a valuable guitar. Elderly instruments in Mich could be a good resource also.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bring it on in, we'd be happy to talk to you about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenixhex311 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm not as well versed in the world of guitars as I am with other things, but am now tasked in doing research into appraising a vintage guitar that was in my late father's (was his stepfather's) possession. We finally were able to check it out late last year. It's a 1946 Martin D28. It looks to be in very nice condition, well better than the main one that comes up with.

I don't know if it's worth it to hang onto it (value will go up?) or the best way to go about appraising it. We're in the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

https://imgur.com/a/EK4inzP

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 03-25-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
Bring it on in, we'd be happy to talk to you about it!
I can't click on a like button so here's a thumbs-up for the local guys.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-25-2024 at 12:31 PM. Reason: make photo smaller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion