The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 09:30 AM

picked up a Breedlove Passport Parlor off of the Stupid Deal page several years ago, $200, solid workhorse & pretty small in a gig bag. Has a surprising amount of volume & projection though not a ton of low end. Easy player. this has been my travel & camping companion for the last few years and I've really enjoyed it. Discontinued but you should be able to find a used one for about the same price range.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Retired elementary-school music/fifth-grade classroom teacher here - given your situation I'd be looking for maximum durability and acceptable portability; that said, here's cheap and small (Taylor GS Mini size):

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Elec...78&sr=1-2&th=1

- and here's something a little larger (appears to be 000/OM size), that could double as an auditorium guitar for grade assemblies, special functions, etc.:

That's an interesting option, and cheaper than expected. But it might not be appropriate for outdoor use in sunny and hot places. A black guitar inside a black case would sizzle in the sun. Perhaps the CF construction would survive, but you could get burns just picking it up. Blacks seems the default color for everything these days - "Look, it's a tactical guitar!" - but I've learned to avoid it, here in my sunny Western state.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 04-18-2024, 01:09 PM

GS Mini. Good travel size, comes with a nice gig bag, sound punches well above it's weight class, and the layered back and sides add to it's stability (although it's top is solid wood).
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 04-18-2024, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I'd take one of my 000 Recording Kings. They have a real 24.9 scale length, sound really close to the real deal 000-18 and they're coated in enough poly to survive almost anything.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:31 PM

I don’t like to order instruments online, so I tend to stick to what is available locally. Luckily, despite living in a rural area, I have two well stocked shops next to me.

I am really leaning toward a gs mini which is at the top end of what I’d spend, and fs800, or also kicking around the idea of a Cordoba Protege. I like the Matiz colors for a camping guitar.

I play steel more, but I like nylon as well, and it’s nice having a bit of a mellower, quieter guitar because I often stay up late around the fire while the wife and kids sleep.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Same advise, a GS Mini. I personally like the mahogany as well. I don't think you need an indestructible guitar for what you are doing. You're not going to use it to pound tent stakes or paddle your canoe.

It’s possible lol!
Old 04-20-2024, 01:30 AM

Used. Just pick a budget and wait for the best thing to come up. It seems crazy to be picking a specific make or model for that purpose. I also agree with the nylon idea. You can get a yamaha c40 for very little and not worry too much at all about anything.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 04-20-2024, 03:26 PM

I just left the shop where my 4 year old and I attend lessons.

I tried a baby Taylor, a couple of small fenders, Jim dandy, Yamaha Jr1, Yamaha Fs800, Yamaha CSF1 for steel strings, and a Cordoba Protege c1 1/2, Cordoba C1 Matiz, and Yamaha School 1/2 and 3/4 sized.

The CSF1 sounded great but it’s more than I want to spend. I hated the baby Taylor, it’s just not for me. All the laminated minis kind of felt and sounded the same. A little stale. The Jim Dandy had some rattle. I really liked the fs800. It sounds way better than it should for 200 dollars and the playability was pretty perfect. Maybe I’m just used the fs shape.

The C1Matiz and Yamaha school weren’t bad either. The c1 has a bit of an uncomfortable neck but I’d get used to it.

I’m thinking mini guitars just don’t feel or sound that good and I might try to make a larger guitar work despite the space issue. I didn’t buy anything but I will probably go with an fs800 or one of the classical models.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

The question you should be asking is "what should I be looking for in a campfire guitar" anything else and you will get answers all over the place to the point of confusion.

I would be looking for a solid top lam back and sides. And do not go cheap, why play a cheap crappy guitar anywhere?

Don't be afraid to go solid wood, there are remedies and products for keeping it in good shape.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:06 AM

I've taken a Taylor 114ce on trips and camping and it's been really Great! easy to carry (gigbag) and store, a lot less than a hardshell.

I do have some friends that like to carry their Taylor 914ce or Martin D45 for camping and leave them "out in the sun?" or out at the beach, salt spray?

I would be more concerned and respectful of any grade but a 114ce is a lot less of an investment, sounds and plays pretty good. People seem to enjoy it...
Old 04-21-2024, 09:16 AM

My camping guitar is a Takamine EF-341C. Used 90's models can be had for about $500 if you are patient when shopping.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 04-21-2024, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleek View Post
It’s possible lol!
Indeed

Old 04-21-2024, 10:32 AM

I am pretty sure you can pick up an enya carbon fiber, as already suggested, for not a lot of money used, like 4-600. Would be basically indestructible, and they sound pretty good, lots of emphasis on the high end and mids.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 04-23-2024, 08:49 PM

Alright guys,
I went and played some more guitars today.
I almost bought a gs mini, but something about it just didn’t click to me and 500 is a bit more than I wanted to spend on a classroom and outdoor beater.

I kept going back to one particular Yamaha fs800. It just sounds great. It just felt good and sounded better than a $230 guitar should.

I picked it up with a $10 used gig bag and it’s ready for the beach, river, and backwoods. It’s larger than I wanted and the string spacing is pretty tight, but for the price it should work well. I think I just like Yamaha.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I use an Alvarez parlor as my travel guitar. You can get one for between $340 and $550 depending on where you get it. It sounds good, plays great, and handles bumps and bruises just fine. Good luck with your search.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion