The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-09-2024, 07:16 AM

To get a flat bottom, I use a ruler or similar with a straight edge about 2-3 mm high and run the saddle along the side of it on the sandpaper.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:01 AM

I put the saddle in a vise with the bottom of the saddle (with material to be removed) sticking up. The line I have put on the saddle for the finished dimension sits LEVEL with the jaws of the vise. Then I file and/or sand the exposed edge of the saddle until the file/sandpaper just touched the jaws of the vise. Use just enough pressure to hold the saddle from moving, no more. Using this method you have to really struggle to goof it up……..it comes out level every time. I use a sanding block with the sandpaper to keep it square and sand until the sandpaper touches the top of the vise jaws.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:36 PM

No need here for a power tool or a costly jig. Hold the saddle against the side of a wood block that you know is at 90º to the block's bottom. Sand on something flat.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Can someone show me their method of sanding down the saddle. I glued a piece of rosewood to it [shim] and now the action is too high. Neck is dead straight.
Is it cut through or drop in?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair