The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Guild GAD50 questions

Dear all

I recently laid my hands on this model - in antique sunburst. It seems to be a good instrument and is very well made and finished. However, I have a couple of questions for other owners:

1. The saddle is very high with lots of break angle but the action is pretty standard (around 3mm at the 12th fret). I am getting some string buzz though and some intonation issues. I wonder how I can get the sort of intonation issues often caused by an excessively high saddle but buzz at the same time. Might I have some high frets here and there perhaps??

2. When I received it, as I tuned it up to pitch the e-string broke and I re-strung with the only strings I had around - some Martin Clapton's choice in lights. Now the tone sounds very metallic to me, quite bright and brash. I wonder if this is just the tone of this model or if it is mainly down to these strings (with about 2 hours' playing on them, first time I have used them). Can anyone comment on tone and perhaps suggest some strings that might better suit this model.

I know you really have to find all this stuff out for yourself of course but am looking for a steer. I can't work up a lot of affection for this guitar just now but maybe I need to get it set-up and some different strings and see how we go.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Best wishes to you all out there.

Pete

Last edited by Penrith Pete; 03-27-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM

There are a number of people here who very much like their Chinese made GADs, but I am among those who strongly prefer the regular Guilds that are made at the Guild factory in the US. Of course the regular Guilds are far more expensive than the GADs that Guild contracts with Chinese companies to make for them, but in my opinion it is a case of you get what you pay for in terms of overall quality, playability, and tone. In the end the choice is up to each individual.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM

It's very possible that the high E string is binding at the nut. I don't think high frets would be too uncommon, which might attribute to the buzzing as you have mentioned.

I've heard from many people that the GAD50 is a fantastic instrument.

I wonder pass judgement on it or look elsewhere until you had the guitar properly setup. Ask about spots you think might have high or low frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion