The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Default new songs

Hey guys,

well this semester my guitar playing started off slow because of my workload, but now I am playing a lot more (usually couple hours a day) and I really want to get my guitar playing to the next level. to do that i have been trying to find difficult songs to play.

I have found that John Mayer's stuff is awesome and strange to play at the same time, and I will probably start learning some more JT because i finally have my finger nails back. I kept on breaking them playing Frisbee.

i just recently learned "My Stupid Mouth" by John Mayer and "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison (kinda show the ballpark where I'm at)

I'm sure there is so much more out there that I still dont know about thats why I'm asking you guys.

-Trevor
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Default learning new stuff

HI Trevor,
Are you looking for songs to learn or scales, chords, arpeggios etc etc. ??
Cole Clark Angel 2 BLBL Sunburst
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo Macassar/Adi
Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

hi trevor:
a fingerstyle instrumental might be a challenging next step, also, i don't know your guitar playing background, but it might be a good idea to consult a teacher, or an advanced guitar playing friend, and have him/ her take a loot at your techniques, and make sure it's solid foundation for long term development.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

The new songs I learn are based simply on my desire to play that particular song. So far, this has allowed me to improve my playing technique and have the pleasure of playing music I love.

Most recently I have been working on Paul Simon's American Tune. Learning this has taught me how to use partial chords to great effect. I didn't start with this song to learn that, I just love the song and have always wanted to play it. Now, I can play a song I (and my song circle friends) love and I have a new understanding of guitar technique.

If nothing else, this keeps me interested in playing.
LC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion