The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Default differences between a Santa Cruz D-PW and Tony Rice model?

Just like the title says! Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Think the TR has the larger soundhole, no fret markers, and slightly different voicing?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM

I know the SCGC inlay is on the fretboard instead of the headstock, as well. Just wondering if anyone's had the chance to play them back-to-back, and what differences in voicing and feel they noticed.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Try the SCGC players forum. You could ask Richard Hoover himself. Or call Santa Cruz. Equally good chance you'll get to ask the man himself. They've always been very friendly and patient when I've had questions for them.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

From the website -

"the TR Model is voiced to showcase his stellar lead work with influences from Clarence White to John Coltrane. This guitar delivers exactly what the contemporary flatpicking artist needs: substantial treble and midrange for rapid single-line lead, clean note separation for definition and the traditional bass boom without the woofy bottom end of some of the venerable Pre-war dreadnoughts."

"The D/PW’s powerful volume, overtones and rich presence is an epiphany to the uninitiated. There are no unnecessary design features on this model, simply the finest materials treated to SCGC’s state of the art lutherie."

Beyond that, there may be slight differences in the neck shaping as well. But I agree, a call to SCGC would be worthwhile -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion