The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Default Another Gravity pick review

Chris at Gravity Picks was generous enough to send me a couple of samples. He sent a .75 mm clear Classic Std. and a 1.1 mm green Classic Std. I must say that I like the shape and size of these picks much more than a normal pick size. They are slightly bigger all the way around which gives more surface area to hold onto, which is good for a guy with big hands like me. At first glance the slick, smooth appearance makes you think it might slide around, but it surprisingly stays secure between the thumb and index finger, and I think the extra size helps with that. I have previously been using a John Pearse 1.2 mm and some no name plastic guitar picks that were likely 1.4 mm that I received with purchases from Workshop Records. I liked the 1.1mm Gravity pick the best of the two that were sent. It is slightly brighter in tone but very close to the JP Fast Turtle and definitely brighter that the WR picks. I was very pleased with the Gravity picks and will definitely purchase some in the future. I like a slightly warmer sound with picks so my next one will be the 1.5 mm. They are half as much as the JP picks so they are very affordable. My only caution would be the clear model might be difficult to find if you drop it. Great picks and thanks Chris!

Last edited by mattwood; 04-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 PM

I also received two picks free of charge and appreciate that Chris would take the time and expense to send them but, I don't understand what I received. One is green colored and had three differnet pick tips in one, the other is rubby red with a fine, sharp tip almost needle point but, noth picks (though masterfully crafted) are thicker than thick at 1.6mm. I'm talking 1/16" thick acrylic-hard material that might be more bend resistant than a ten cent piece.

Honestly, I did not know they were this heavy when i asked for a sample.

If you're looking for a pick that would likely please Chris Squire (I hear tell he uses a metal coin) and you prefer it to be plastic, then this is your baby

I will say it's the best pick I ever used for slashing the strings using the side of the pick when shaved quickly along the low E string. I don't have a bass on hand but I'm sure I will prefer this pick over the felt variety I used to so often use.

I plan to use this pick one day for one of my originals - perfect for the chords effect I was hoping for

Thanks Chris ...

Last edited by tomana; 04-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
I also received two picks free of charge and appreciate that Christ would take the time and expense to send them ...
Holy Moley!

Aside from that, when I started using picks recently I ordered a whole variety from skinny ones up to 3mm.

I prefer the 1.5-2mm sizes anyday.

BTW, why are you guys on your side of the pond able to use mm measurements for picks but only able to use inches for anything else ?

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by state-it View Post
Holy Moley!
oops, made the correction, thanks!

Quote:
BTW, why are you guys on your side of the pond able to use mm measurements for picks but only able to use inches for anything else ?
I used both in my post but the USA is one of only two countries world wide who still do not use the metric system. We don't believe in a one world ruler
Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Holy Moley!

Aside from that, when I started using picks recently I ordered a whole variety from skinny ones up to 3mm.

I prefer the 1.5-2mm sizes anyday.

The only way I can is cause that's the stated size on the pick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion