The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Humidification help

Hi all,

Here's the details:

-Taylor cutaway guitar
-Taylor hardshell case (not deluxe)
-a sponge in a Ziploc bag
-Caliber III hygrometer

For the past 3-4 days, I have been testing the RH levels in my case, and I can't get the darn thing to read in the 45% range (averaging around 40%). I first tried one sponge placed in the area of the cutaway by the body (also placed the hygrometer close by) and that didn't get me nearly to 45%.

I tried placing the sponge by the headstock (along with the hygrometer), and the reading there was around my desired levels, but I then tested the hygrometer at the body (sponge at headstock) and of course the levels were insufficient.

Next, I left a sponge at the headstock, and put one more by the body, hoping that two sponges would surely help get the overall humidity levels to ~45%...but nope, I'm left in my current problem of around 40%.

Any ideas on why this isn't working? (Besides any sarcastic remarks of, "Need more moisture in the case.") :P

Is the inside of the case still absorbing the moisture? Oh! And I don't know if this is important, but when I leave the sponges and take the guitar out and close her up, the humidity levels plummet. This leads me to believe that my poor guitar is bleeding moisture and that part of my humidity readings are taking on moisture from the guitar and that the guitar is drying up like a prune!

Oh, and my apartment has a RH level of around 33-37% normally (and around 68 degrees temp) if that is helpful info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion