The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-16-2024, 01:48 PM

Default Godin Fifth Avenue with double buckers

I noticed Amazon has a couple Godin Fifth Avenues with twin humbuckers listed much lower than the usual street price, shipped directly from Amazon. Might be a good deal if someone was looking for one.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:53 PM

Very nice price on a great guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-16-2024, 03:35 PM

Amazon does this every so often - I scored a blonde one with P-90's for just over $600 on Christmas Day 2012 - and if you need a good jazzbox on the cheap you're not likely to do better in this price range...
Old 05-16-2024, 07:06 PM

If you want to know the sales history and prices over an extended timeline for Amazon products then Camel Camel Camel is a useful tool. Scroll down to see the graphic display of Godin with 2 P-90's as an example:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/...J6G?cpf=amazon

The price fluctuated between $676 and $915 in the last two years in this example.

You can sign up free and it will send e-mail notifications for price drops.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:17 PM

I notice that on the Amazon page where the guitar comparisons are listed, for a slightly lower price, they show one I own, an Ibanez AG95QA. I am very impressed with my Ibby, and feel like they have a "sweet spot" in the archtop market, and should be recognized for same.

Old 05-16-2024, 07:22 PM

Great price. I have the p90 version and it’s very useful and enjoyable to play both plugged in and unplugged.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
...I own an Ibanez AG95QA. I am very impressed with my Ibby, and feel like they have a "sweet spot" in the archtop market, and should be recognized for same.

Absolutely, and I'm still kicking myself for not scoring a 2461 - the mid-70's "lawsuit" Johnny Smith D copy that George Benson used as the test mule for his signature model - or the all-acoustic/all-solid FA-800 L-5C clone, back when either one could be had for around $500 brand-new (I understand they can command up to ten times that amount today, in primo condition), and I had a former bandmate who owned an '80s AR300 solidbody that was an absolute killer for just about any style of music; that said, where they presently shine is at the entry level of the jazzbox/semi-hollow market - IMO they've owned it for the last 30 years or so, and IME nothing in their price range even comes close. The problem is that, once you reach the $750+/- mark, you're into some pretty stiff competition from the Gretsch 5400-Series Electromatic hollowbodies (not all of which come in those flamboyant colors BTW) as well as the aforementioned Godin CW II and a few lower-end Eastman models; inasmuch as they're all justly considered the benchmarks for QC/tone/playability in the intermediate/step-up bracket (the mid-2010's Korean Gretsches in particular), Ibanez is competing on that basis alone - unfortunately the lines are not as clear-cut as in the $400-600 range, and just as with the Gibson/Martin/Taylor wars on the General Acoustic forum it becomes more a matter of personal preference...

FYI I'm still a fan: I've owned three basses as well as one of the rare R001 acoustics (think Larrivee L-03R with a Spanish-style rosette and, in my own case, a cedar top - the catalog specified spruce) which could fill a school auditorium without amplification and which I deeply regret selling, I still keep an early-2K's SR405 5-string bass in my stable for when I need those organ-pipe low notes with the worship team, and I'd have a nice old AR300 (or one of its modern-counterpart AR325/420/520 models) in a minute - it's just that the overall field has achieved such a high standard that Ibanez, like Epiphone (which, to their credit, seems to be making some major strides), no longer represents the criterion of fit/finish/tone by which all other hollowbodies in its price bracket are judged...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops