The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Default new member

Hi folks. I have just joined today. Often read comments but this is the first time i have written. I am in to country blues and play a Gibson AJ. I have recently bought mine and wondered if anyone else had any experience with them. The neck to me seems wide compared to my old 2002 J45 and i am having trouble getting used to it (cramp and so on in left hand). Look forward to discussions in the future.

Ray
Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Welcome aboard Ray. Hope you get used to that AJ Neck. If not, you can always change your name to J-45 Ray.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 PM

thanks. I hope so too. cheers.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.

Cheers.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM

thank you. great to be here.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum!

I own a 2002 Gibson AJ Luthier's Choice modeled after the 1938 version. The neck is fairly thick, kind of like Martin's modified V, sort of a baseball bat. I do not have particularly large hands -- fairly average I'd say -- but for some reason I have not had any trouble with playing my AJ. I like it a lot.

I hope your cramping eases up some. Sometimes people get used to these fatter necks over time.

Regards, Glenn
Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Hi and thanks. The neck on mine seems flatter and wider and def not deep
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM

sounds awesome though
Old 11-21-2010, 12:03 AM

Hi, Ray. I've got a 2001 Gibson Advanced Jumbo that I like a lot. It's got a skinny little rock and roll neck, but I like that because I can wrap my thumb around it more easily than I can on those guitars of mine with chunkier necks.

Anyway, it may be the slightly longer scale length that's giving you some trouble, or it might be that the overall geometry of the neck isn't comfortable for you. I've encountered this on a couple of guitars, and it's a drag when it happens.

One quick way to determine whether it's the longer scale length that's bothering you might be to slap a capo on the first fret and play it that way for a while. If you're still cramping up after you've temporarily shortened the scale length with a capo, then the problem is probably with the shape of the neck itself, rather than the scale length.

whm
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 AM

Hello AJ Ray

Welcome to the forum ...

2008 Tanglewood TW1000
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 AM
happiness

Welcome Ray, good to have you on board!

Fliss
Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Hi, Ray. I've got a 2001 Gibson Advanced Jumbo that I like a lot. It's got a skinny little rock and roll neck, but I like that because I can wrap my thumb around it more easily than I can on those guitars of mine with chunkier necks.

Anyway, it may be the slightly longer scale length that's giving you some trouble, or it might be that the overall geometry of the neck isn't comfortable for you. I've encountered this on a couple of guitars, and it's a drag when it happens.

One quick way to determine whether it's the longer scale length that's bothering you might be to slap a capo on the first fret and play it that way for a while. If you're still cramping up after you've temporarily shortened the scale length with a capo, then the problem is probably with the shape of the neck itself, rather than the scale length.

whm
I have tried the capo thing and unfortunately the neck seems just too wide. The scale length is noticeable but not a playing issue. My j45 felt great to me and the AJ was my dream guitar. I may even sell it to get another j45. The thing is the tone. I have heard nothing like this before. It is so responsive to the lightest touch and i dont even have mediums on it. What to do
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello AJ and welcome to the AGF.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 AM

Hi AJ Ray. Welcome, happy you've come!

Scott
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 AM

AJ Ray ~ Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Forum...the friendliest forum on the internet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion