The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Default LuteHole sound hole cover review - Updated

Update: See below.

I was looking for a sound hole cover for my Santa Cruz 1929 00 after experiencing some feedback issues during an open mic. I have a K&K installed and they can be tricky at loud stage volumes. Unfortunately, the SC 00 sound hole is non-standard size and slightly smaller so the usual (only) common and cheap solution - the feedback buster - did not fit or work for me.

I embarked on a search of other solutions and found reference here on AGF to a website called lutehole.com, a maker of high end and attractive sound hole covers. They are basically made of different types of wood with different, intricate designs and are offered in non-standard sizes. They are not inexpensive. Prices stack up quickly especially if you go for more exotic woods and different (more intricate) designs. You'll also pay more for a non-standard sized sound hole.

I went with walnut as I wanted a darker wood to compliment the dark finish on my 1929 shade burst guitar. Walnut is not an upcharge from the standard maple so I went with that. Rosewood, which would have been even darker and better would have been even more. I went with the 'standard' design to try to save some money and because quite frankly it's more than intricate enough. When all was said and done my cost was almost $65. The extra came from the added $15 for a 'non-standard' size.

The finished product once received was extremely good looking and well made, and fits perfectly and easily. It's obviously a quality product. It seems to have tamed my feedback as well. Note that as delivered the LuteHole sound hole cover does not completely block the opening. They do talk about this on the website and say that if you require more isolation it's easy to just cut some material to size and add it to the inside. I have not needed to do this and I appreciate there still being air holes so sound can get out and I can leave the sound hole cover in place all the time whether playing plugged in or not. I do think it looks great.

The website quotes 3 weeks before you can expect the product to ship which in today's day and age of everything Prime 2-day shipping seems like an eternity. After three weeks and nothing I emailed them. They responded quickly saying they were behind and working hard and they would email when it shipped. Two more weeks and nothing so I emailed again and they said the product had shipped and an email had been sent. Sure enough the product did show up a couple days later.

I play fingerstyle and the cover does sit up about 1/8" and my fingers do make contact with it now and again slightly but not so much as to be a problem or make playing difficult or uncomfortable. Said contact also does not produce any sound on my K&K equipped SBT pickup. After a couple of days playing I no longer notice it is there. If you play with a pick I would think it would be even less of an issue unless you really dig in but I doubt it.

So if you're looking for an attractive sound hole solution that looks great and works well, and you don't mind the wait or expense, I can endorse the LuteHole sound hole cover. I guess when you're talking about a guitar that retails for $5k then spending $50 - $100 on a nice looking, well made accessory that actually works shouldn't be an issue. Photos to follow.

Update:

For those that followed this thread awhile back (or are just checking in for the first time) I was wishing I had gone with the darker rosewood model as I wanted the sound hole cover to be as dark or darker than the guitar. The main reason I did not was because the rosewood was the most expensive one and after adding in for premium features like a specific design and the rosette engraving it would have been up over $100!

I was going back and forth with the Lute Hole people and mentioned this and they offered to make me what I wanted at a significant savings as a return customer so I went ahead and ordered another one. As before, it took a solide 5 weeks to get the cover vs. the 3 they advertise so they continue to be busy.

The end product is extremely well made and beautiful. I went with a different design and also added the rosette engraving which just adds a little more to the whole end product. I'll post some photos below and even do some side by side comparisons. I will most likely be throwing the first one up in the classifieds sometime very soon for a decent savings from buying new. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-27-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Photos:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-27-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Photos:

How do they stay put?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Like a dense foam tab material.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

That looks real nice - having seen it though, I think I'd do the maple and just spray it out black -
Old 06-03-2017, 07:51 PM

Are these finished or bare wood?

If unfinished, I'd be tempted to rub in some mineral oil to darken it up a bit and bring out the grain some more.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Great review. Thanks for taking the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Are these finished or bare wood?

If unfinished, I'd be tempted to rub in some mineral oil to darken it up a bit and bring out the grain some more.
I was thinking the same thing - maybe a darker stain on it. I appears to be unfinished, just raw wood but not positive. I'll have to check the website or email them.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I was thinking the same thing - maybe a darker stain on it. I appears to be unfinished, just raw wood but not positive. I'll have to check the website or email them.
Nothing on the website about the finish so I emailed them and this is their reply:

"Hi.
They are sprayed with a matte finish.
If you prefer unfinished you can request that."

Thank you, Kelly

Kelly Busch
Lutehole Products, Inc.
www.lutehole.com
(305) 282-5267

Very responsive replying on a Sunday!

I asked about staining or applying oil and she replied again saying that you can always lightly sand it and then stain or oil.

Last edited by Methos1979; 06-04-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

The photos originally posted were taken in bright sunlight and make the walnut look lighter than it really is. Here's a couple more photos in evening indoor light.

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-27-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Photos of the new one:

Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Wow, I have no need for one of these, but they're very attractive, so I find myself wanting one nevertheless...
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Very cool.
I wonder how they cut them ... by hand with a drill then a saw, or with a laser.

Oh, and your guitar is droolworthy!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM

+1 on not needing, but wanting.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:34 PM

Default Lute Hole exceeded my expectations!!!

I'm primarily an Electric player, but I usually have an acoustic around. Since I sold my Ovation Adamas a few years back, I needed something to fill the void. I ended up with an affordable Martin Special X, which exceeded my needs for a C neck, Pleked Acoustic which plays like an electric, sounds good, is a single cutaway, and is suitable for live situations (with a sound hole cover). I immediately custom ordered a "mute" Lute Hole to fit it's 3 7/8" soundhole. It arrived after 4 weeks, it fit perfectly, and it matched the satin finish of my guitar. It eliminates all potential feedback, and looks great too! Actually, it's almost invisible onstage.

Last edited by Old Player; 01-29-2022 at 04:42 PM. Reason: adding a picture link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion