The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 02:25 AM

Default Issue with Bass E string on Maton Guitar

Hey folks,
Got an issue with my 20yo Maton Bass E string.
I just picked it up after it sitting in a closed off room for the last 24hrs. It was in tune when I left it yesterday, but the Bass E string was flat, extremely flat, by maybe a full tone, maybe even more.
I tuned it all back up correctly, and started playing Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. The first portion of the song, I only play the D & G strings, but then I hit a full E chord, and the Bass E string was seriously flat again, maybe as much as a tone. So in the space of less than a minute, it had lost it's tuning.
I'm thinking the tuning machine needs some attention, but I'm unfamiliar in how to service them.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

If you recently fitted new strings, check ball end is correctly seated under bridge?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
If you recently fitted new strings, check ball end is correctly seated under bridge?
Strings have been on for a couple of months, and the ball was properly seated when fitted, plus the pin has not moved.
Thanks for asking though!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Unless you can see the tuning machine spinning, I'd loosen the string, take it out of the pinhole and check the winding.

The most likely reason for this is the ball winding coming undone, or the ball hooked on the bottom of pin, or it being pinched between the string groove in bridge and the pin.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Unless you can see the tuning machine spinning, I'd loosen the string, take it out of the pinhole and check the winding.

The most likely reason for this is the ball winding coming undone, or the ball hooked on the bottom of pin, or it being pinched between the string groove in bridge and the pin.
Thanks SM.
When you mention the machine spinning, are you referring to the post that strings winds around, or the key? I did notice when re-tuning it again a few minutes ago, that the locking screw on the key was not rotating, but when I turned the key back a bit, the screw spun. Not sure what the go is there?

I'll check out the ball end of the string too.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 AM

The tuners are sealed units. There isn't much you can do to service them not that there's generally much can go wrong with them either but after 20+ yrs who knows?

In any event the screw on the key shouldn't move at all in relation to the key unless it's come loose or something inside doesn't want to budge.

Tighten it up & see what happens is all I can suggest, may be part of the problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion