The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Default Stupid--and hopefully instructive--pick experience

OK, so the other night I sit down with my new Martin and start strumming. I'd recently installed a bone saddle and had been loving the new tone. Well, I sit down and...my god, it sounded horrible. I mean, it was just atrocious how tinny and brittle and weak it sounded. All these awful thoughts ran through my head--I ruined it with the bone saddle...I bought a crappy guitar...Something has broken and will need an expensive repair...The winter cold has taken its toll...I'm a crap player. All of it went through my head.

So I freak out for a couple minutes, playing more and more trying to make it sound better. I finally stopped in pure frustration and stared a my right hand--there was nothing else to look at--and saw it: I had flipped my pick and was playing it "backwards". Apparently, the bevel I'd worn into it DOES NOT like it when I turn it around.

I can happily report that my mediocrity cannot be blamed on my pick.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Don't worry, I think we all have those moments at some point or another!

I don't have this issue however, since I use my picks with just about every corner and side they have for different tones

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion