The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Default gonna be in St. Augustine!

Hey all I will be in St. Augustine Florida from Wed Nov 16 to Monday the 21st for a mini vacation (boy I NEED one!) Just going to lay around and sleep and eat. Gonna check out Bagelsgirl at her show if I can find the place.

Anybody know of any good jams or music shops down that way I should check out? I'm leaving tonight and I can't wait to get there.

cheers!

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 PM

Jim, I don't know of any "jams" to attend, but good music should not be too hard to find. Check Liz's website for her schedule. She is usually downtown on Saturday afternoons, right off the square. I can't remember the name of the place, I'm old. Also check out the Milltop. Friday or Sat nights should find some good music there. Look especially for Sam Pacetti or the Jalpeno Brothers. Both are GREAT acts.
Not a lot in the way of music shops though. Nigel out at Paradise Guitars is a good guy with a "limited" selection. Nothing high end around Augustine.
Come on down to Daytona and we'll jam.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 AM

thanks Rick will be on the lookout for those performers. Sorry though the boss won't let me drive the cool PT Cruiser we rented to get around in. I will try and get out and check out some places today.

It was cool that they let me bring my instrument with me as carry on because I was worried about checking it in. I was joking today that maybe I might just go downstairs and open up my case and start playing on a corner or something.

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks
Not a lot in the way of music shops though. Nigel out at Paradise Guitars is a good guy with a "limited" selection. Nothing high end around Augustine.
Paradise guitars is no more. Stewarts Music took over that location. It is on SR 16. If you are heading from US1 towards I-95, it's just up there a few miles on the right. Ricks is right, no newer or high end guitars usually here. But there was a nice Larrivee last time I went into Grampas Music, and a pretty nice Martin I think. Grandpa's is on the Island (that means take the Bridge of Lions heading out of downtown) it's down on the right in a small strip mall, maybe two miles down. Watch for it, it is small and easy to miss, I believe it is attached to Lee and Cates glass. And if you pass the lighthouse, you have gone too far.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia
I was joking today that maybe I might just go downstairs and open up my case and start playing on a corner or something.
Don't do it on St George Street (the best place to do it) because you may be arrested! Unless of course you refuse any tips, then you might just be questioned!

Honestly, it makes me mad what they are doing in this town. They built this huge parking garage. Ugly. City commissioners just voted to eliminate free parking downtown and to triple the rate at the meters to $1.50 an hour, to encourage people to use the parking garage and shuttles.

What about employess who work downtown for minimun wage? They are going to park and take a shuttle in now? What about musicians who have to load in equipment? $1.50 an hour! I'm just bummed. No doubt the lots that are now charging 6 bucks a day will soon up it to ten.

Makes me glad I am working a lot elsewhere these days. And thats sad. The city still has a lot of charm. They are just trying to make it hard for the locals to go to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion