The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 PM

Default raising action

i had a new nut and saddle replaced a while ago, and since then i guess he lowered the action a bit, and this could just be from the nut and saddle change though. but anyways, i have a little string buzz, and on the smallest e string it touches on the first fret just a little bit, so i was wondering how hard it would be to raise the action my self. thanx

Mikey
Old 09-22-2005, 08:23 PM

You could put a shim under the new saddle but the guy that worked on your guitar messed things up. I'd ask that he make it right.

Goya GG-5
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BG-60
Pimental Requinto 1977
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Shim or a new saddle.
(You could tweak the truss rod a tiny bit to increase neck relief to...but if the problem doesn't go away with a tiny adjustment I'd go with a shim or new saddle.)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luedemann
...but anyways, i have a little string buzz, and on the smallest e string it touches on the first fret just a little bit, so i was wondering how hard it would be to raise the action my self.
Hi Mikey...
If it has buzzed since the time he set it up, then it would be reasonable to take it back.

If you have changed string guages, it has been quite a while, or the humiditiy has swung significantly, then you may need to tweak the action a bit.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion