The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Default 000-18GE vs OM-28

Hi folks, I'm considering both of these guitars, the 000-18 golden era (with adi top) and the OM-28 standard. The 000-18 is about $800 more. Which of these do you prefer and why? I guess this is mostly rosewood vs. hog and long vs short scale, but I'm still interested in folks thoughts. Also, what strings do you use on these? Thanks a lot, Mike
Old 07-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I guess this is mostly rosewood vs. hog and long vs short scale...
Well, mostly maybe... BUT, it is also Sitka vs. Adirondack (top & bracing), neck geometry, 2-3/16" vs. 2-5/16" bridge string spacing, bone nut & saddle vs. fossilized ivory (or at least it used to be), drop-in saddle vs. long saddle, ivoroid vs. tortoise binding, X-brand open geared tuners vs. Gotoh, short-pattern diamond & squares fingerboard inlays vs. old-style 18 (dots), and maybe a few other details...

I'm a mahogany & short-scale guy, so it's the 000-18GE for me...but that's just me.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 AM

I've owned both, in fact many Martin OM/000's, it is kind of a rosewood versus mahogany thing but not completely.

My "opinion", while I have owned many fine standard model Martins, to me GEs and Authentics are the hot rods, and I would take them over the comparable standard model "if" affordable and the neck profile works.

I generally consider short scale 000's slightly better at fingerstyle and long scale OM's slightly better at strumming/flatpicking, but the 000 exceptions are the GE and Authentic models. The 000-18GE is a great guitar with thinner braces and it can handle anything you throw at it.

Of those two I would take the GE, but that takes nothing away from the OM-28, it's a win-win decision based on your ears and how the neck profiles work for you. Happy Shopping...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Had a 000-18GE (original when they were still in the Martin lineup) and probably should have kept it. Like Rich said...it'll take most anything you care to throw at it. Also owned two different OM-28's and they were fine guitars but did not last. This probably doesn't help a bit but that's my history with those two guitars. There's not a bad decision to be made IMO...it's just what you like better? I used D'Addario EJ-16's and John Pearse PB .12's on both.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Rich (rmyAddison) said it very well..as usual.

I would add my vote in favor of the 000-18GE.

It is arguably one of the best guitars I've ever owned.
In one word--dynamic.

It will whisper to you when fingerpickin, but bark when strummed hard.
It's really hard to over-drive it or push it too far..it can run with dreads (most the time) without breaking up.
But it can be as sweet and subtle as any parlor, but with more fullness.

As you can tell,
I'm a big fan of my 000-18GE simply cuz it does it all, and does it very well.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Default 000-18ge

Enjoy mine with John Pearse 80/20 lights 12-53, I can pick it up anytime and not have to adjust my playing. Mostly played with a thick pick as my nails are not cooperating, works great now that I've adjusted. Short scale is the way to go for me. Have you played these 2?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

On paper, the 000-18GE was a guitar I should have loved. But every time I tried one in a store, I was sorely disappointed. It wasn't a particularly loud guitar either, and I didn't care for the tone strummed.

The OM-28 on the other hand is a very versatile guitar with a pleasing tone and has appeal to me as a much better all-arounder. I think it's the Sitka vs Adi thing. I don't care for Adi tops as much on non-dreads, at least if the guitars are still new/green. In fact, I just sold my OM-28 Authentic (Adi top)... no regrets.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

If the choice were between an OM-28V and a 000-18GE it would be a tougher decision for me. But, given the options being considered, I'd take the 18. Both are, I think, great sounding, but very different guitars. Based on sheer playability and my neck preferences, the 000 wins by several lengths.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 AM

I played a lot of 000 & OM guitars before I chose the 000-18GE a year ago.
I would choose the same way today. I love the guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion