The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 06:35 AM

Default Small bodied, short scale, wide nut & saddle, radiused finger board nylon stringers?

After noodling away for many hours on my little Cordoba Mini R, I think I am honing in to my personal sweet spot of playing preferences & particular stringed instrument specifications to accommodate my style most effectively.

Anything size wise from the Mini, which is obviously on the tiny side of the options, all the way up to a 00 size I guess. It needs to be Nylon stringed, spruce topped, short scale, radiused board, wide nut & saddle, cutaway or non-cutaway is fine, as with electrics, I'm not that bothered if it comes with inbuilt or not. Budget could be up to $1200 2nd hand I guess, depending on whether I do a trade across.

As the title describes, what guitars should I be looking at?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 AM

You might consider an old (1800's) "parlor" guitar. Here in the United States they generally sell pretty cheap, and with some tune up can be fine little guitars. I'm not sure how the market is across the pond, but I wouldn't think much different.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 AM

Mashup, have U ever tried "Cordoba Cadete"? since U fell for Cordoba! It could be some pleasant surprise for U too
Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 AM

Default Kremona Sofia hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashup View Post
After noodling away for many hours on my little Cordoba Mini R, I think I am honing in to my personal sweet spot of playing preferences & particular stringed instrument specifications to accommodate my style most effectively.

Anything size wise from the Mini, which is obviously on the tiny side of the options, all the way up to a 00 size I guess. It needs to be Nylon stringed, spruce topped, short scale, radiused board, wide nut & saddle, cutaway or non-cutaway is fine, as with electrics, I'm not that bothered if it comes with inbuilt or not. Budget could be up to $1200 2nd hand I guess, depending on whether I do a trade across.

As the title describes, what guitars should I be looking at?

Thanks
Take a look at the Kremona Sofia hybrid neck nylon string. I was prettty much looking for the same things you are, and found this to be a very nice guitar in your price range, around a 1000 bucks. I ended up buying the higher priced Kremona Fandango which is very similar but with fancier wood. I also have their pure classical Fiesta, but it's not getting much playing time these days as I love the narrower radiused fingerboard. The Kremona hybrid necks have a cutaway which doesn't seem to negatively affect the sound, and built-in Fishman electronics which work very well.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Maybe this Esteve model on Lark Street Music's website?

ESTEVE R.Fernandez 70-4864 Cut, Classical, 2005, cutaway, solid western red cedar top, solid Indian rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard, rosewood bridge with string block inlay, 5 strut Spanish fan bracing, deluxe real wood rosette, real wood binding, bone saddle and nut, 52mm nut width, 650mm scale, 380mm lower bout, 295mm upper bout, 105mm body depth, 490mm body length, $1695 list when new, near mint, ohsc.........$695

http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html
Old 02-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

What about this guy?

http://romerocreations.com/pepe-romero-signature-model/

They're a bit hard to find, but I think Elderly has one at the moment.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to check out the suggestions right now. Although not radiused, the Cadete or even the Requinto look promising from an initial peak. The Kremona's look good but they are hard to acquire in the UK& the Esteve would be prohibitively costly to ship. The search continues. Has anyone tried the Taylor GC Nylon models?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion