The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2015, 09:08 AM

Default Martin HD2832 guitar quality and value

Just came up on an '85 Martin for sale...girl said it was a D28. When I get there, turns out it's an HD2832, model I wasn't familiar with. Research on the web says it's an acoustic electric but I couldn't see any signs of a pickup and the strap button looks too small for a guitar cord. She did say she thought it was an A/E. Then I find out the sides and back are laminated. I told her I'd take it, but not scheduled to pay up until later in the afternoon. What do you guys, and girls , know about these guitars, especially what they sell for new and used. I know the girl so turning it down at this point wouldn't be a problem, especially since it's not what she said it was to begin with.

Thanks a lot....
Old 10-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Guest 1928

The Shenandoah guitars were Martins first run at entry level guitars with Martin on the headstock. They were nicer than the Sigmas, but not completely traditional in design and construction compared to the Nazareth built Martins. They bodies and necks were made in Japan, but assembled and setup in Nazareth. They've been discontinued for many years. As far as I recall, it would have had a Thinline pickup with and end pin jack. No active electronics or controls though.

An HD-2832 is the Shenandoah likeness of a Martin HD-28. In good condition, not needing significant work such as frets or a neck reset, it should be about $800 (retail) including the case.

Last edited by Guest 1928; 10-15-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:56 PM

Everything Todd said sounds right to me. I bought a nice Sigma DR-28 in 1985, and the Shenandoah D-2832's were on the market then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion