The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

As I approach my first heating season with a couple of nicer guitars, how many days of heating does it take until the low humidity becomes a concern?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
As I approach my first heating season with a couple of nicer guitars, how many days of heating does it take until the low humidity becomes a concern?
It's not really dependent on the heating as so much as it is on the temperature outside. If it's really cold, than the heat will go on longer, causing the humidity to go down. Buy a hydrometer and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM

We went from unseasonably warm period here, highs in the 80's, to an unseasonably cold period with lows in the 30's literally overnight.
The furnace is on, and the humidity levels are swinging as a result.

In part, it's a good thing:

It's been such a relentlessly wet summer that the levels have been high for some time. It's actually affected the house...I've had to reset some doors that won't latch properly anymore, and I could almost swear the house may have shifted ever so slightly due to the saturated ground.
Keeping a sense of perspective, there have been a lot of landslides and ground movement around here, roads have had to be cleared and homes and businesses have been hearbreakingly demolished or made uninhabitable as a result.

Keeping my guitars happy is a small thing by comparison, but still, I gotta take care of my babies.

My man cave, where most of my guitars live, is now down to a low of 70%. Yeah, that's the lowest it's been in a while.

My guitars are enjoying the change and they are sounding noticeably more clear, but I'm nowhere near the point where humidification is needed.
But my humidifiers are standing by with there new filters already installed, just waiting to be filled up when the time comes for them to do their winter duty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion