The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Fret Issues/Warranty Question

Hello,

The situation:

*I have a 2003 410RCE that was apparently pretty dry when I bought it (I guess I was too into the tone and hadn't really noticed at the time, my fault).

*Although, I have been humidifying the guitar a good bit since I bought it (less than two months ago), the frets remain relatively sharp. My understanding is that once the neck shrinks, it doesn't expand and the frets will need to be filed.

My Questions:

*Do I have a right, under Taylor's warranty to send the guitar back to them to take a look at the frets, and expect them to fix the problem?

*Or is it the responsibility of the dealer who sold me the guitar to right the situation? That is, if I'm sure it was dry when I bought it.

*Or is it my issue to deal with (and eventually pay for).
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 11:32 PM

I bought a 2001 LOTF 310ce Koa that was also really dry. In fact, once I got it home, I noticed the fretboard had a small crack in it. I called the guys at Taylor, explained the situation and they took care of me no questions asked. I bet they will do the same for you if you give them the full background.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:44 AM

Thanks flyfis4fun,

Anybody else have any advice? I'll be stopping by the dealer today.

-Mike
Old 01-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If the guitar was dry when you bought it at your dealer and the frets had "sprouted", it is a dealer issue. Rounding the frets is a half-hour job for a good technician. Do you trust the tech at that store? If he's good, it's the easiest solution for everyone, including you. Technically, they should be willing to round them for no charge but it has been a while since the sale so they might wonder if you dried out the guitar. Walk gingerly and use your best tact. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 AM

I would try to do it locally. Even if Taylor will do it for free, it's not worth the shipping cost.

I think you are looking like less than $50 to do it locally. If you are good with tools you can do it yourself. With a nail file from a drug store. I highly recommend NOT doing it yourself unless you are good.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:31 PM

A few words of advice:

More than half the guitars I see with protruding frets also have splits in their fingerboards. Check it carefully so you can deal with both problems (if applicable) at the same time.

Peace.

Doc
Old 01-29-2004, 03:23 PM

Lesson learned.... If you don't have a full knowledge of what you're buying, bring a expert with you, it pays off in the long run.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion