The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bruce,

I have never wound strings on the post using that method, but I have recently watched some YouTube videos on this method and will give this a try.

I don't like to see a tuning post with only a couple of wraps on it, however. From an engineering standpoint, it takes 4 wraps on a capstan to assure no slippage. I would just pull the string back two frets and go from there.

Also, I like the method of pulling the string up to lock it on the post so that when the string is trimmed it can be cut very closely to avoid sharp edges. I have cut myself too many times on stubs sticking out.

Either way, I'm going to give it a try. It's probably time to try something new.

- Glenn
Old 12-03-2021, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Bruce,

I have never wound strings on the post using that method, but I have recently watched some YouTube videos on this method and will give this a try.

I don't like to see a tuning post with only a couple of wraps on it, however. From an engineering standpoint, it takes 4 wraps on a capstan to assure no slippage. I would just pull the string back two frets and go from there.

Also, I like the method of pulling the string up to lock it on the post so that when the string is trimmed it can be cut very closely to avoid sharp edges. I have cut myself too many times on stubs sticking out.

Either way, I'm going to give it a try. It's probably time to try something new.

- Glenn
Hey Glenn,
I am very interested in the Science of 4 wraps on a capstan in order to not slip.
I use locking tuners mostly. But I still add multiple wraps so that I can change out saddles and bridge pins.
I believe there are other advantages as well to multiple wraps...and that is creating a less angle bend coming off the post.
However...on my slightly heavier .58 E string..and .46 A string...I can usually only get 2 to 3 wraps.( the post hole on locking tuner is lower to the headstock than non locking tuners) Again..using locking tuner...so it is fairly stable.
Regardless I am Still interested in the science of 4 wraps and non slippage. Often the science of one part explains the science of another part. Can you explain further?
Old 12-04-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
...voila...this is the method I use and really prefer it to the others. It's the "Z bend" method. Quick and easy.
After years of doing the complex lock system I gradually went completely over to the 'z bend' and just 1 or 2 wraps for the thick strings, 3-5 for the highest strings.

The only thing that has me considering going with more wraps in the future is for the additional down pressure.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 12-05-2021, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Hey Glenn,
I am very interested in the Science of 4 wraps on a capstan in order to not slip.
I use locking tuners mostly. But I still add multiple wraps so that I can change out saddles and bridge pins.
I believe there are other advantages as well to multiple wraps...and that is creating a less angle bend coming off the post.
However...on my slightly heavier .58 E string..and .46 A string...I can usually only get 2 to 3 wraps.( the post hole on locking tuner is lower to the headstock than non locking tuners) Again..using locking tuner...so it is fairly stable.
Regardless I am Still interested in the science of 4 wraps and non slippage. Often the science of one part explains the science of another part. Can you explain further?
The 4 wraps rule can only be a thumb rule for certain applications. It’s all about friction and that depends on the involved materials.
A low E strings needs less than one turn (I tried more than once), the blank strings need two wraps usually. Also a Z-bend helps. For all the guitars and (steel) strings I ever used, 2 wraps have been enough.

Of course more wraps don’t hurt much, except that you need a bit more time till the strings settle and keep pitch after a string change.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion