The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 10:13 AM

Default Gibson Songwriter

I have been thinking about a Gibson Songwriter. Is this a sign of old age brain fade? Or could this be a positive experience? Been a long time since I have owned or played anything from Gibson, but I am looking for a change. I have always appreciated dreads and wonder how the current models are. I have touched two of the J-45’s but was underwhelmed. But I understand that store demos are not always the best representation of an instrument, so I am trolling for opinions (a sure sign of brain fade asking if I should buy another instrument on this forum) from those that are familiar with the Songwriter.
For the record, I don’t really write songs so there could be legal issues involved, but I don’t see any SongPLAYER models…..
Old 04-18-2024, 10:21 AM

I seem to recall songwriter being Rosewood and not Mahogany (like J-45 and Hummingbird). I guess its very similar to a Rosewood Hummingbird. I recently tried the J-45 and like you, was not very impressed and ended up buying a Hummingbird.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:24 AM

I would get the Songwriter only if they guarantee that you will be able to write a hit country song. Otherwise, the J-45 or Southern Jumbo might work just as well for writing songs.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Lately, I have had a Gibson awakening in my guitar world, and have really enjoyed the change. While I love my old 45, and 185, I recently bought a LG-2 banner from a fellow AGFer, and havent touched anything else since!

If it feels right….GO for it, and dont worry why!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-18-2024, 11:34 AM

The examples of Gibson Songwriter models that I’ve had a chance to play have been remarkably consistent in how good they sounded, much more so than J-45’s. The J-45’s have tended to be a bit more hit or miss, but the overwhelming majority of Songwriters I’ve played have been guitars I could imagine owning. It’s a musically successful design.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-18-2024, 12:00 PM

Try a songwriter you won’t be disappointed! It’s longer scale than the J45 at 25.5” and it’s more of a canon than the 45s and hummingbirds.

It’s probably one of Gibsons most underrated models. Mine is a 2023 model and the fit and finish are fantastic. It sounded great out the box, even better after a set up.

I’m actually a fan of the barn door Fishman preamp and matrix under saddle pickup it came with, very easy to get a acceptable live tone.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-18-2024, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I've played with two people who have Songwriters. I don't know much about the guitar but they are good players and sound fantastic playing that guitar.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:07 PM

I sold mine a few years back and still regret it. They are wonderful guitars.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:13 PM

The Songwriter Deluxe sounds fantastic in every demo I've seen. I love that it's longer scale, too. Have never played one but it's definitely on my list of guitars to check out if one ever becomes available locally.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I have a new songwriter purchased from Sweetwater about a month ago. Had them do a finger style set up. Plays great and sounds even better. You won’t be disappointed. I also changed to medium strings.
Let me know if you have additional questions.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:54 AM

Alright, alright. I will go and play a bit more on the Songwriter. Then I will need to put one up for sale.
I do not have any stupid rule about one in, one out. But I do have a rule about being able to pay for the incoming one. If anyone feels bad for me I accept donations….or gifts.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

PNW? Where are you located?
Old 04-20-2024, 09:46 AM

I am in Portland, which also happens to be in Oregon.
And yourself?

John
Old 04-20-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I have always been interested in the Songwriter. I have played a few over the years and they always seem to sound good. Its a good looking guitar as well.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The examples of Gibson Songwriter models that I’ve had a chance to play have been remarkably consistent in how good they sounded, much more so than J-45’s. The J-45’s have tended to be a bit more hit or miss, but the overwhelming majority of Songwriters I’ve played have been guitars I could imagine owning. It’s a musically successful design.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Try a songwriter you won’t be disappointed! It’s longer scale than the J45 at 25.5” and it’s more of a canon than the 45s and hummingbirds.

It’s probably one of Gibsons most underrated models. Mine is a 2023 model and the fit and finish are fantastic. It sounded great out the box, even better after a set up.

I’m actually a fan of the barn door Fishman preamp and matrix under saddle pickup it came with, very easy to get a acceptable live tone.
The above reflect my opinion, as well. I went to Alto Music to play a few guitars, having decided that a new Martin HD-28 neck wasn’t comfortable. I played a Takamine that sounded very nice acoustically, amazing when plugged in. Then I played a Songwriter EC and acoustically it was just “more” of everything I wanted. Big, rich, powerful. But the preamp was dead, so I didn’t buy it. Found a used one that seemed like a great deal, bought it. This one sounded like I recalled from the store. It has the barn door, which never bothered me, and it sounded great at my last couple of gigs. I think it stacks up to everything out there in dreadnought land in, or even somewhat above its price.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion