The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic Squirrel View Post
Enlarged both pictures trying to see the gap. Would someone please point out where it’s located for these old eyes? Thank you in advance!
At the back of the saddle. Even a slight gap can cause the saddle to lean forward toward the headstock putting a lot of pressure on the front of the bridge. It can (worst case scenario) cause the bridge to crack or distort the saddle slot over time, especially with a taller saddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saddle.jpg (28.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Dave#2 - thank you along with explanation as to the potential consequences.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

The bridge/saddle geometry is very similar on my G45 Standard from 2020, so perhaps that's just how they're making them lately. Mine is four years old and doesn't seem to have had problems but it does have the belly type bridge. I suppose it could be a concern with the way many undersaddle pickups advise a somewhat loose fitting saddle, on mine I'm going to take all that out and give it a snug fitting bone saddle.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-26-2024, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the "If it ain't broke..." camp. I'd just get on with playing it.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-27-2024, 01:44 AM

Gibsons tend to ship with a tall saddle. I’d rather have it that way than the other way around.

I wouldn’t worry. I’d imagine the slightly looser saddle is for the benefit of the UST which will be installed.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-27-2024, 03:03 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I’ve decided not to worry about it. I’m going to change the strings and evaluate saddle fit. A couple of people have mentioned a slightly loose saddle is normal for under saddle pick ups. Why is that?
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-27-2024, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Yeah, I’ve decided not to worry about it. I’m going to change the strings and evaluate saddle fit. A couple of people have mentioned a slightly loose saddle is normal for under saddle pick ups. Why is that?
It's actually written into the fitting guide for the Baggs system that Gibson uses in many models, Baggs even stress the importance of shaping a slight angle into the bottom of the saddle to allow for the lean. I know it seems contrary to what any luthier says about saddles, but it does look like they do it intentionally.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
It's actually written into the fitting guide for the Baggs system that Gibson uses in many models, Baggs even stress the importance of shaping a slight angle into the bottom of the saddle to allow for the lean. I know it seems contrary to what any luthier says about saddles, but it does look like they do it intentionally.
Interesting. Since I never play plugged in I'll probably fashion a saddle with a more snug (not overly so) fit.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-27-2024, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

I can’t tell if its too high without the frame of reference of looking down the neck from the headstock down. That give you the perspective of how tall the bridge and saddle are in relation to the surface of the fingerboard. Also the LG-2 has an under the saddle pickup wire right? You could try pushing the wire back through the hole in the bridge and the reinstalling the saddle. You’ll find it will sit lower and may even need to be shimmed or possibly replaced. If you pull the pup wire out there and you start seeing any buzzing from the 10-15 fret range then its too low.

As for the LG-2, I have been wanting to get one of those. What do you think of the sound? I find my wife’s L-00 and my LG-0 to both be a little thumpy on the low end at times. They are also both very midrange focused. Is that the case with the LG-2? Is it rich and full, or does it sound like a small guitar? I have played a couple before, but wasn’t able to reach a conclusion as I was there primarily to buy other guitars.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:03 AM

I just picked up a J-45 last week that also had a tall and slightly loose saddle (and a very slight lean). It worried me a bit as well... but this thread is putting my mind at ease...
Old 04-27-2024, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I can’t tell if its too high without the frame of reference of looking down the neck from the headstock down. That give you the perspective of how tall the bridge and saddle are in relation to the surface of the fingerboard. Also the LG-2 has an under the saddle pickup wire right? You could try pushing the wire back through the hole in the bridge and the reinstalling the saddle. You’ll find it will sit lower and may even need to be shimmed or possibly replaced. If you pull the pup wire out there and you start seeing any buzzing from the 10-15 fret range then its too low.

As for the LG-2, I have been wanting to get one of those. What do you think of the sound? I find my wife’s L-00 and my LG-0 to both be a little thumpy on the low end at times. They are also both very midrange focused. Is that the case with the LG-2? Is it rich and full, or does it sound like a small guitar? I have played a couple before, but wasn’t able to reach a conclusion as I was there primarily to buy other guitars.

Yeah after measuring the current saddle then checking what is available I might push the pickup into the body and tape the wire to the top. If I did it with current saddle it would be too low.

As far as tone I would say it is rich and full. I don’t find it boomy but it does have adequate bass. I wouldn’t say it sounds boxy but there certainly is a significant difference between it and my J35.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-27-2024, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I will say, I excised the accursed Sonitone from my G45 today and fitted a bone saddle that fits snugly in the slot to the same height as the original Tusq one plus pickup, and I'm sure it's added a little something to the acoustic tone of the guitar. Some of that may be conformation bias, but a better saddle fit without the slightly squishy piezo cable underneath probably contributes too. And losing the leaning saddle seems like it must be healthier for the long term robustness of the bridge.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

If intonation is good, the string height is good, and it plays good, then it is good. Don't go looking for problems that aren't there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-27-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Yeah after measuring the current saddle then checking what is available I might push the pickup into the body and tape the wire to the top. If I did it with current saddle it would be too low.

As far as tone I would say it is rich and full. I don’t find it boomy but it does have adequate bass. I wouldn’t say it sounds boxy but there certainly is a significant difference between it and my J35.
That pickup wire is pretty thin. Gibson sets them up with the wire, so it could end up being a tad too low. This happened to me when I removed the electronics from my wife’s L-00 and my J-45. I got a shim kit from Bob Colosi’s web site. Its not complicated to install a shim, but it takes patience with a razor to cut a thin strip of rosewood laminate the length and width of the saddle. I would say, I spent no more than 30 minutes shimming each saddle from start to finish, including removing strings and restringing the guitar.

How do you like your J-185?
Old 04-27-2024, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I love my J185. It was kind of a bucket list guitar and I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on one. Sweetwater heavily discounted them at the end of last year.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion