The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 AM

Default How does Santa cruz custom build process work?

Hello forum!

I'm looking into custom order H13, but recently their response over my questions has been very slow if any, and frankly I don't feel my questions are properly answered. I hear they had some staffing change, so I can understand, but this makes me wonder,,.

How does santa cruz custom order process work? I have build option chart mostly set, and I can ask my dealer to start the process, but then what happens? Is it pretty much wait few month and there's my guitar take it type of thing or would there be constant communication back and forth to build the guitar fits my request and poinion?

If former I don't see any benefit over picking one from the shelf or used so I can at least try out and return?

Thanks!!
Arnold
Old 03-27-2024, 09:47 AM

Arnold I've owned several Santa Cruz and what you're describing is NOT their style. I assure you that if you actually call them they will answer all your questions and concerns!
Old 03-27-2024, 10:46 AM

Cool

I just received my custom D-Model from SC and can only say good things. They estimated delivery of between 6-9 months but actually delivered it in 4 months!! I also found them to be very responsive. Going through my dealer i had answers to my questions/specs within 1-2 days. They even sent me pictures of BRW headstock pieces to choose from. And the final product looks and sounds beyond my expectations.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:56 AM

Calling them is a great suggestion. I have called them a few times over the years and found them to be fantastic to deal with. Been to see them when I was in the area for a vacation too. Treated royally. Hope it works for you and you end up with a perfectly tailored H13. Had my H13 almost 2 years and just love it.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:10 PM

Thanks all for sharing! Yeah they did fantastic work on 1929-00 refret and firefly neck reset earlier this year, and was super pleasant to work with, in fact all my questions were answered quick until around Jan this year, then they have been very quiet so far, and my dealer also is having trouble getting answers from them. I guess it was just bad timing.

Cheers!
Arnold
Old 03-27-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldmoon View Post
Thanks all for sharing! Yeah they did fantastic work on 1929-00 refret and firefly neck reset earlier this year, and was super pleasant to work with, in fact all my questions were answered quick until around Jan this year, then they have been very quiet so far, and my dealer also is having trouble getting answers from them. I guess it was just bad timing.

Cheers!
Arnold
Question here, what’s with the “dealer” business? Aren’t they direct to client luthiers? While I am not looking to buy anything now, I do go to their website to look and drool occasionally and have done some “dry run” customizing.

And, I’ve found their strings to be top notch for some of my guitars. They have also been super responsive to impromptu phone calls about their strings.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Winheld View Post
Question here, what’s with the “dealer” business? Aren’t they direct to client luthiers? While I am not looking to buy anything now, I do go to their website to look and drool occasionally and have done some “dry run” customizing.

And, I’ve found their strings to be top notch for some of my guitars. They have also been super responsive to impromptu phone calls about their strings.
I see, seems it's just email communication that has been slow. I'm working through a dealer because I have some trade in credits with them. I'm not sure if they work directly with client or not, but working directly sounds nice.

Arnold
Old 03-27-2024, 01:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Winheld View Post

Santa Cruz does not sell directly to customers, only through their dealer network. Having said that, the custom order process involves communication both with the dealer and the factory. The folks at Santa Cruz are wonderfully helpful, and sometimes Mr. Hoover himself gets involved. It's a fun process, folks, with the end goal being that the person ordering gets the guitar of their dreams, that fits them and their desires perfectly.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Santa Cruz does not sell directly to customers, only through their dealer network. Having said that, the custom order process involves communication both with the dealer and the factory. The folks at Santa Cruz are wonderfully helpful, and sometimes Mr. Hoover himself gets involved. It's a fun process, folks, with the end goal being that the person ordering gets the guitar of their dreams, that fits them and their desires perfectly.
Thanks for the confirm! Yup for me especially so because this is my first custom order, having open communication channel would shake off some nerves around uncertainty. I mean, it's Santa Cruz guitar, so I know roughly what it'd be like and no question it'd be a top notch build, but there are great guitars and there are guitars fit my style and need. The two doesn't always line up, which by the way is a great excuse to keep purchasing!

Cheers!
Arnold
Old 03-27-2024, 05:55 PM

I've had 2 custom builds through SCGC dealers and have had similtaneous conversations with both the dealer, SCGC Staff ( R. Hoover ,Carolyn Sills and her husband Gerard) and have had several conversations with Brenda and other of the "New" SCGC folks....Always been impressed by the passion they have in getting my "Vibe".....Wonderful Folks.
I currently own 6 SCs....ALL are keepers/Pass Downers!

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 03-27-2024, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Arnold, I'm pretty sure Santa Cruz was hit with even harder rain than last winter, hopefully the shop wasn't flooded again, however I think the weather may taken a toll on their ability to correspond.

Will is their customer service contact, they run very busy, but as others said calling may be best.

After initially jawboning the concept of a custom with folks at TME.. process started in 2022 .., I did all my config talking directly with Carolyn at SCGC (Will is her replacement, and is every bit as wonderful). TME is just a few miles trip for me, and they were great about keeping me informed on schedule of incoming builds that were close to what I was thinking **the guitar I received was exactly in line with my expectations, aside that mine was better ;-).

I had a custom inlay for the headstock, they made up the exact design from artwork I sent, by this time TME was involved, however 90% of the communication was direct with SCGC, except TME was Cc'ed on the emails, and of course the formal quote came from TME.

I finalized my decision in April 2023 (that winter had been a worse than usual depression, and didn't want to make a big decision until I was doing better. The suggested build time was 9-10 months, they completed her in 8. I didn't ask for a lot of updates, however did visit the shop in August .. the body was complete, neck nearly so.

I can't say enough good things about the shop or.the build process and communication.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
I've had 2 custom builds through SCGC dealers and have had similtaneous conversations with both the dealer, SCGC Staff ( R. Hoover ,Carolyn Sills and her husband Gerard) and have had several conversations with Brenda and other of the "New" SCGC folks....Always been impressed by the passion they have in getting my "Vibe".....Wonderful Folks.
I currently own 6 SCs....ALL are keepers/Pass Downers!
Glad to hear build process was pleasant! And I'm sure all six of them are wonderful guitars!

Arnold
Old 03-28-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
Arnold, I'm pretty sure Santa Cruz was hit with even harder rain than last winter, hopefully the shop wasn't flooded again, however I think the weather may taken a toll on their ability to correspond.

Will is their customer service contact, they run very busy, but as others said calling may be best.

After initially jawboning the concept of a custom with folks at TME.. process started in 2022 .., I did all my config talking directly with Carolyn at SCGC (Will is her replacement, and is every bit as wonderful). TME is just a few miles trip for me, and they were great about keeping me informed on schedule of incoming builds that were close to what I was thinking **the guitar I received was exactly in line with my expectations, aside that mine was better ;-).

I had a custom inlay for the headstock, they made up the exact design from artwork I sent, by this time TME was involved, however 90% of the communication was direct with SCGC, except TME was Cc'ed on the emails, and of course the formal quote came from TME.

I finalized my decision in April 2023 (that winter had been a worse than usual depression, and didn't want to make a big decision until I was doing better. The suggested build time was 9-10 months, they completed her in 8. I didn't ask for a lot of updates, however did visit the shop in August .. the body was complete, neck nearly so.

I can't say enough good things about the shop or.the build process and communication.
Ah I didn't think about the flood. There was a flood in santa cruz downtown when my 1929-00 was in service, but at that time it seemed shop was not affected. But yes there has been couple heavy rain since then. (I live about an hour north of Santa Cruz).

In fact I was communicating with Will until Jan when I was getting responses before they went quiet. I even bug them once on facebook recently and told Tim is sales director and they will redirect my emails sent out to Will to Tim. I guess I would have to wait until dust settles over there.

Arnold
Old 03-28-2024, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

How different a guitar do you want? There are so many ready to be played, I'd hesitate to special order one. But you may want that extra something special in the way of wood.

If I were doing it, I'd walk in their front door with an appointment since I'm half an hour away. I was lucky to find a used D PW that was everything and more than I'd dreamed of ever owning.

An H 13 looks like a winner in any configuration.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-29-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
How different a guitar do you want? There are so many ready to be played, I'd hesitate to special order one. But you may want that extra something special in the way of wood.

If I were doing it, I'd walk in their front door with an appointment since I'm half an hour away. I was lucky to find a used D PW that was everything and more than I'd dreamed of ever owning.

An H 13 looks like a winner in any configuration.
You are 100% correct, I admit it is perhaps easier and likely better chance of end up with one that close to what I want if I keep try and pick from off the shelf or used items.

What I want is H13 with non-mahogany back, and 1 13/16 nut, round neck. Plus some cosmetic options like natural finish, minimal purfling rosette etc, brazilian fretboard. It is more of wanting to have few details just right, and hopefully they would pick and eq tonewoods to my sonic preference. How close end result would be to my request, I have no idea. We'll see in couple month!

Cheers!
Arnold

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion