The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I’ve been going back and forth on the MD70BG and the MDR70SB. Can’t decide if I want a 12 fretter, slotted headstock or not. Both seem excellent, but I’d be ordering them unplayed and unseen. I currently have a Masterworks Elite all walnut OM and it is a fantastic guitar-beautiful and a great player. I read on STL Music’s catalog that these Masterworks guitars all have their “ATR” process applied to the woods, both tops and bodies. Seems like their torrifaction process. If so, these guitars are that much more of a value.
Anyone have more information on what the Alvarez process is? I found a press release from 2017 but everything else is a dead end. I would think if they are torrifying they would announce it loudly.

Still the process, as described in their release, does sound like torrefaction: "The wood is cured and processed further in an oxygen controlled vacuum environment at specific temperatures to remove even more moisture and volatiles such as saps and sugars."
https://www.stlouismusic.com/alvarez...sponse-system/

I just don't know why they would torrefy wood and hide it unless it's something different.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:13 PM

I agree, seems like they would promote it more. Sure seems like the goal of the process is the same as torrifaction. Can’t argue with the results of whatever their process is, they do sound great. I just can’t decide between the 12 fret slip shoulder and the BG dread!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:30 PM

I picked up the MD60BG in October of 2021. I can not say a single bad thing about it. Played great from the factory. Sounds fantastic... mid and high focus with a tight bass, and rich overtones.

I bought the MD70EBG the next month. Classic Rosewood dreadnaught sound. Rich, but clear base. Punchy midrange, articulate trebles. Again, nice overtones.

Even new, these guitars sounded pretty played in..very "open". This may relate to the "thermal treatment" process described above. Alvarez is pretty vague about it, as noted above. Most newer guitars sound kind of "tight" when you first get them. These did not. My Yamaha FSX5 and LSTA gave me the same kind of impression.

*** My experience with the dreadnaughts inspired me to get the AP66SHB all-mahogany parlor guitar. This guitar also impressed with its sound and feel. Great projection, punchy bass with a bit more depth than I expected for a OO. Singing, "sweet" overtones. Only small complaint is a bit of binding at the nut on the G-string... but that was easily fixed ***

I think Alvarez has discovered the perfect formula for producing low cost, high quality guitars.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 03-10-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Thanks.... Interesting (I've heard of Cort's all solid Blackwood - https://www.cortguitars.com/product/..._id=1602041418) being described similarly, too.

I'm intrigued mainly because I have the Engelmann/Black Walnut 12 fret SS dread I mentioned as well as an X braced Taylor 324e (Mahogany top/ Tasmanian Blackwood b & s) Grand Auditorium - Love the distinctiveness of both and would be very interested to play an ALL walnut and/or ALL blackwood.

I've always been an Alvarez fan... Great guitars
I walked into a shop the other day and ... don't cha' know... there was one of each on the wall (Cort Blackwood and Alvarez Walnut) ... both nice .. The Alvarez suited my taste better... beautifully finished, sparkling voice.

I love when that happens..
Old 03-10-2022, 01:24 PM

I really think the forward shifted bracing has a lot to do with the superb tone on these guitars. I love both the BG60 and BG70. Had to take the pick guards off though.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:14 PM

I bought a MD60BGE in may 2020. When it arrived I had mixed emotion. It sounded great but i didn't like the flat neck.

Like many people here I have several guitars so I rotate them. I gigged with it and I busked with it. Sometimes I liked it sometimes I was thinking of selling it.

I changed the nut to a tusq 6136 wich is a 1 13/16 nut but the guitar is only 1 3/4. But it worked without me pushing the strings över the edge. The strings spacing was now wider even if the nut wasn't. That helped a lot.

Then someone posted a tread here how he put an extra saddle behind the saddle at the bridge for improved sound. I immediatly realised how an extra saddle could give you any string spacing you wished at the bridge. The extra saddle could guide the strings and the other give you intonation.

So now I have really wide stringspacing at the nut and 2 5/16 at the bridge. And lately it has opened up. I love this guitar now.

So now I really want to try that 12-fret rosewood dread 70 something. But they gone up some and are now above what I would comfortable busk with :/
Old 03-10-2022, 04:42 PM

I used to own one and it's one of those guitars that makes you stop and scratch your head, wondering how the hell can a guitar this good be sold at this price. As I sit here scratching my head as to why I sold it. It's a canon and a no brainer, punching way above it's weight class. Go for it, you won't regret it.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-10-2022, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishigashira View Post
Anyone have more information on what the Alvarez process is? I found a press release from 2017 but everything else is a dead end. I would think if they are torrifying they would announce it loudly.

Still the process, as described in their release, does sound like torrefaction: "The wood is cured and processed further in an oxygen controlled vacuum environment at specific temperatures to remove even more moisture and volatiles such as saps and sugars."
https://www.stlouismusic.com/alvarez...sponse-system/

I just don't know why they would torrefy wood and hide it unless it's something different.
Unless I missed something.. it doesn't specify if it's ALL tone woods or just those used for TOPS...
Old 03-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

It's insanely good for the price. Very nicely crafted and great sound.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I bought one a year or so back and somehow FedEx managed to crack the tailblock during delivery. Only reason I sent it back. It's a ridiculously good guitar. Priced well below it's value IMO.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:37 AM

I don't own an Alvarez MD60BG but I do own many Alvarez guitars... specifically the Alvarez MD95.

As far as I can tell this guitar has identical specs to the MD60BG. The main difference as far as I can see is the finer appointments. Mine doesn't have the herringbone rosette and purfling mine has an abalone Rosette and tree of Life neck inlay.

Both have solid sitka spruce tops over solid East Indian rosewood. However I don't know if the bracing is the same.

Be that as it may, my guitar is an absolute Cannon and very easy to play! I absolutely love the tone of this guitar. Like others, I wonder how Alvarez does it! These guitars are well built sound fantastic and the price is very good!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I don't own an Alvarez MD60BG but I do own many Alvarez guitars... specifically the Alvarez MD95.

As far as I can tell this guitar has identical specs to the MD60BG. The main difference as far as I can see is the finer appointments. Mine doesn't have the herringbone rosette and purfling mine has an abalone Rosette and tree of Life neck inlay.

Both have solid sitka spruce tops over solid East Indian rosewood. However I don't know if the bracing is the same.

Be that as it may, my guitar is an absolute Cannon and very easy to play! I absolutely love the tone of this guitar. Like others, I wonder how Alvarez does it! These guitars are well built sound fantastic and the price is very good!
The MD60BG is hog back and sides the newer MD70 is rosewood..

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 03-11-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
The MD60BG is hog back and sides the newer MD70 is rosewood..
Oops that's right. My PD80S is like the MD60BG then and it does have herringbone perfling. That one too is a cannon and plays easily and sounds great!
Old 03-11-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
I changed the nut to a tusq 6136 wich is a 1 13/16 nut but the guitar is only 1 3/4. But it worked without me pushing the strings över the edge. The strings spacing was now wider even if the nut wasn't. That helped a lot.

Then someone posted a tread here how he put an extra saddle behind the saddle at the bridge for improved sound. I immediatly realised how an extra saddle could give you any string spacing you wished at the bridge. The extra saddle could guide the strings and the other give you intonation.
:/
Thanks for the tip on the wider nut. I do think the string spacing is a bit tighter than it should be for a 1 3/4 nut. But I have no idea what you mean by adding an extra saddle. You actually have two saddles on your guitar? And that's a good thing? If so, I'd love to see a picture. I'm happy with the string spacing at the bridge, but it would be interesting to check out.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:37 PM

I own one. It's a ton of guitar for the money to be honest. It was my favorite guitar for a while until I bought a Martin Special 18. The only thing I can say is that it doesn't quite have the full sound that my Martin does, but again it is about 2 grand cheaper.

Have been looking to move mine, so send me a message if you're interested.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion