The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2022, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I ordered through TNAG. I can not recommend these folks.
I ordered from them too...Kim was great to deal with. I do recommend them !
Old 03-27-2022, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLatchey View Post
Haha will do! There's a chance (albeit very small) that I'll part ways with the DF.....I can't imagine liking the AB better than the DF.....but you never know until you play 'em right!!

I really want to order a custom Iris with 1 3/4 and 2 5/16 with Adi/Hog.

Just hate waiting 14 months....granted I talked to Adam and he did say they are about to move to another production facility and just hired two new people (I think he said from Collins) to help speed up production so the wait might not be 14 months
Any updates? I recently picked up a secondhand DF with a customer-supplied, 30+ year-old Adirondack spruce top, and the sound is unbelievable. When I spoke to Adam about it, he said that the wood would typically be found on a $10k guitar, and I believe it. This guitar already has me thinking of getting in line for the 000 model that is supposedly in the works.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:36 AM

I really like the ND-200 jumbo - I'd like one with 1.725" nut and Gotoh tuners - they told me both are doable.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-27-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Any updates? I recently picked up a secondhand DF with a customer-supplied, 30+ year-old Adirondack spruce top, and the sound is unbelievable. When I spoke to Adam about it, he said that the wood would typically be found on a $10k guitar, and I believe it. This guitar already has me thinking of getting in line for the 000 model that is supposedly in the works.
In emailing with Adam re: my recently acquired DF Smeck, I asked directly about the 000 14 fret rumor. He confirmed that this is their next production model. I believe if you get on the $1000 deposit waiting list, this will be an option for you come build time.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

It's the only Iris I've ever played but what a guitar this ND200 is, colorful rosewood and nicely figured adirondack. I ordered a full C neck and it is a handful ... deep and the 1/3/4 nut measures 1.77. Perfect for what I like.

It's been over 10 years since I sold my last jumbo, a Lowden O. I'd forgotten that there is nothing like a big guitar.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-07-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Beautiful

Wow, what a beauty! I think the open pore finish looks even better on rosewood than mahogany. Every Iris I have played and the Smeck I own have big voices - I'll bet this one has a HUGE voice! I'm sure Brucebubs will be by soon asking you about it as he has his eye on one as well. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 04-07-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Wow, what a beauty! I think the open pore finish looks even better on rosewood than mahogany. Every Iris I have played and the Smeck I own have big voices - I'll bet this one has a HUGE voice! I'm sure Brucebubs will be by soon asking you about it as he has his eye on one as well. Congrats and enjoy!
Ha! I've been in contact with Mr Paul about this guitar before he took delivery, gotta say I think it looks fantastic too.

Good choice of specifications there too Mr Paul .. the full body and neck binding would be my choice too.

Pretty sure my SJ-200 will be the last new guitar I ever buy .. but it's nice to look around and see what else is out there.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-07-2022, 07:24 PM

I think what is really interesting about these guitars, is that very high level luthiers have decided to market affordable guitars that working musicians can afford, which sound and play way above their pay-grade. They do this (as I understand) by simplifying the entire neck construction (three pieces with a scarf joint at the headstock and a bolt on attachment to the body) simplifying all body decoration, including the finish, and making a lot of construction processes common to all the models—while at the same time making a very light body with a thin top, carefully considered bracing and very thin matte nitro finish, without filling the pores. These are guys who know a lot about what makes a guitar sound good and what makes it cost a lot. I am going up to Burlington and visit the factory in a month or so (I live in Vermont).

If you compare them to a big plant like Martin's or Gibson Montana, they seem to be more of a collective, a group of luthiers who control their supplier. As far as I can see, this is a very winning formula, but you are not going to get what you would with a high end boutique builder or high end model from a factory in terms of finish and glitz, but you are going to pay about a third of the price and it will probably sound great. I have not played one, but they have great word of mouth. I'm looking forward to the visit and playing their models (especially the Smeck and the ND200).
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

Last edited by gfirob; 04-07-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I think what is really interesting about these guitars, is that very high level luthiers have decided to market affordable guitars that working musicians can afford, which sound and play way above their pay-grade. They do this (as I understand) by simplifying the entire neck construction (three pieces with a scarf joint at the headstock and a bolt on attachment to the body) simplifying all body decoration, including the finish, and making a lot of construction processes common to all the models—while at the same time making a very light body with a thin top, carefully considered bracing and very thin matte nitro finish, without filling the pores. These are guys who know a lot about what makes a guitar sound good and what makes it cost a lot. I am going up to Burlington and visit the factory in a month or so (I live in Vermont).

If you compare them to a big plant like Martin's or Gibson Montana, they seem to be more of a collective, a group of luthiers who control their supplier. As far as I can see, this is a very winning formula, but you are not going to get what you would with a high end boutique builder or high end model from a factory in terms of finish and glitz, but you are going to pay about a third of the price and it will probably sound great. I have not played one, but they have great word of mouth. I'm looking forward to the visit and playing their models (especially the Smeck and the ND200).
What’s great about the business model is that they allow a decent amount of customization, unlike, say, Waterloo, where the specs of each model are set. The downside for me is that when I get to the point of placing my order, I’ll want a bunch of extras—Adi top, slotted headstock, sunburst with ivoroid binding, crackle-gloss finish, upgraded tuners…

The tone of my secondhand DF never ceases to amaze me.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Anybody own an AB in maple B&S and natural top? A few I've seen almost looks like they have adi top?
Old 02-23-2024, 11:54 PM

I have an ND-200 sunburst with 1.75" nut. LOVE it.
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 02-24-2024, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

I got my maple/adi ND-200 in November. It's hasn't been back in the case since then.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-24-2024, 09:15 AM

That's just a stunning sunburst Jim. If it plays and sounds as good as it looks, I can see why you're having trouble putting it back in it's case.

My JB is very plain Jane. I do have a J45V with a nice SB, but I've got to admit I'm a little jealous.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

I have a DF and ms-00. My DF has been a love hate relationship. Sometimes I love it and others I consider selling it. It's a big bodied guitar for me. But the neck feels so good on it! I put Martin Retros on it and that has seemed to help tame the guitar a bit. This maybe a dumb question, what's the difference with the Smeck model?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3295.jpg (29.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-24-2024, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 View Post
That's just a stunning sunburst Jim. If it plays and sounds as good as it looks, I can see why you're having trouble putting it back in it's case.

My JB is very plain Jane. I do have a J45V with a nice SB, but I've got to admit I'm a little jealous.
Not sure how I missed this—agree 100% that that sunburst is killer, and I bet it looks even better in person (cameras have a tendency to lose the gradation of fades).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansenku View Post
I have a DF and ms-00. My DF has been a love hate relationship. Sometimes I love it and others I consider selling it. It's a big bodied guitar for me. But the neck feels so good on it! I put Martin Retros on it and that has seemed to help tame the guitar a bit. This maybe a dumb question, what's the difference with the Smeck model?
The Smeck option is available on the DF and MS-00 models. You get a deeper body and a 12-fret neck join. The DF Smeck is a big guitar with a big sound (and the standard DF already has a big sound).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion