The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Red face hate to ask and sound dumb...?

but I really have no clue what GAS, or G.A.S. , or GASing is. Please don't laugh, I have been here for a few days and keep seeing this term.
Could someone tell me what it means. thanks alot . K
Old 03-22-2008, 12:30 AM

It's what happens when you eat a lot of broccoli at dinner.

Wuh!

It means Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, the wonderful but economically-trying disease caused by the desire to find the perfect guitar.

It is a good thing to avoid, especially if you are a responsible adult. But if you feel like a questing knight, trying to find the perfect combination of tone, playability, and aesthetic beauty in a guitar, it can be darn near unavoidable.

I hope this helps. So, what are YOU looking for in the perfect guitar?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:51 AM

Smile gas?

Thanks TJ;
And to answer your question perfection to me is a light,small-bodied guitar, 1-5/8" nut,nice action,lots of bass,my favorite woods so far are Indian rosewood and curly maple.ooooohhhhhh.
How about you?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 AM

My perfect guitar? Well, that would presume that I have cured my own GAS. Right! But for now ...

I love dreadnoughts. I have two, one in Brazilian Rosewood and Adirondack, and another in Honduran Rosewood and Adirondack. Surprisingly, while the Brazilian dread has a sweeter tone, I really love the Honduran guitar. It is louder, and also very articulate, meaning I can strum it hard and still hear each string. The same can be said of the Brazilian guitar, but the Honduran guitar just sings! In addition, it is a great fingerstyle player, which is not terribly common with dreadnoughts, at least in my experience. Just sweet. Both of them have 1-3/4" nut widths as well, which is my newest requirement in a "perfect" guitar.

I am actually on the market for a small-bodied guitar myself - something like a Gibson L-00.

The short answer to GAS, in my case, is this: there is no answer. No one guitar does everything right. And, I think, this is why a lot of us have GAS.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 AM

P.S.: I also have a slope-shouldered dreadnought in mahogany and Adirondack, and it puts out MUCH more bass than either of my traditional dreadnoughts. I mean, it really thumps. Of course, the overall tone is very different from that of the dreads.

Just because you mentioned you like lots of bass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion