The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2022, 09:25 PM

Default Is this the infamous martin binding issue?

My martin 000-28 is almost a year old and I am noticing these markings along the back…any idea what is going on here? Should I be concerned?

https://imgur.com/a/JXwTFfq
Old 03-11-2022, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84 View Post
My martin 000-28 is almost a year old and I am noticing these markings along the back…any idea what is going on here? Should I be concerned?

https://imgur.com/a/JXwTFfq
I had two Martins with this issue. Your pic looks like the beginning of the binding glue issue to me.

So sorry, Martin make fantastic guitars, but this element is frustrating. I thought they had this sorted by 2018 though, so I'm not certain that your issue is the glue issue.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-11-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I had two Martins with this issue. Your pic looks like the beginning of the binding glue issue to me.

So sorry, Martin make fantastic guitars, but this element is frustrating. I thought they had this sorted by 2018 though, so I'm not certain that your issue is the glue issue.
Ugh. Going to need to take it in to get looked at probably.

It is a 2019 000-28 if I am not mistaken.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

So, I’m not a professional, but this is what I have learned (that’s hopefully helpful). The glue martin has been using reacts with the binding, causing it to shrink slightly over time. If you think about that and where binding should lift when it shrinks, the answer is usually at a concave surface like the waist. I’m not certain what’s caused your binding marking—whether there’s a separation there due to another reason or lacquer hadn’t adhered at that spot. If it’s solidly adhered to the body, I wouldn’t jump to the concern of a binding separation, personally. Don’t worry, but have someone look at it if you’re concerned.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just curious...is the RH very low where you live and have you been humidifying the guitar?
Old 03-11-2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just curious...is the RH very low where you live and have you been humidifying the guitar?
It is actually quite high. Most days are around 70%+.

I have one guitar out of its case per week. I have the other guitars in a case with silica packets that generally keeps humidity between 50-60%.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
So, I’m not a professional, but this is what I have learned (that’s hopefully helpful). The glue martin has been using reacts with the binding, causing it to shrink slightly over time. If you think about that and where binding should lift when it shrinks, the answer is usually at a concave surface like the waist. I’m not certain what’s caused your binding marking—whether there’s a separation there due to another reason or lacquer hadn’t adhered at that spot. If it’s solidly adhered to the body, I wouldn’t jump to the concern of a binding separation, personally. Don’t worry, but have someone look at it if you’re concerned.
Thanks. Yea I have been running my finger along the binding and it isn't like I can slip a nail there. No gap exists - but the look is concerning. Probably will get it look at.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84 View Post
It is actually quite high. Most days are around 70%+.

I have one guitar out of its case per week. I have the other guitars in a case with silica packets that generally keeps humidity between 50-60%.
Too high can be as much of a concern as too low. 70% is quite high, even 60% in the case is on the high side. I’m not saying too high humidity is the cause, but it is a consideration.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Too high can be as much of a concern as too low. 70% is quite high, even 60% in the case is on the high side. I’m not saying too high humidity is the cause, but it is a consideration.
You could definitely be right. I'd say that no other signs point to this guitar being over humidified, but that doesn't mean that it isn't over humidified. Or that this potential issue isn't caused by humidity...
Old 03-12-2022, 08:29 AM

You must be concerned to start this thread. It would bother me also.

For peace of mind have it checked out. If it is an issue the next problem will be getting Martin to do something for it.

Good luck.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
If it is an issue the next problem will be getting Martin to do something for it.
^^^ Very true. The second martin hears “70+%” they’ll wash their hands of you. Shoot, they’ll try to wash their hands of the problem whether you took perfect care of the guitar or not. (Not just my personal first hand experience but also what two martin certified techs told me recently). Better to go to a good local guy for something like this.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:41 PM

Yes, unfortunately it is. Time to email Martin the picture.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:23 PM

I feel badly for Martin. They're looking at a whole lot of reputation-and-budget-busting problems with binding shrinkage on Nazareth-made guitars. Gotta be lights-out scary. Bob Taylor mentioned in his memoir that Taylor Guitars' products had to be designed and built in ways that avoided recalls and runs on warrantee claims or else the company would drown in red ink. I think Taylor succeeded nicely. I don't have any idea as to how Martin addressed their problems. I think Taylor, though, didn't shut out warrantee claims or take a year to do them.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I feel badly for Martin. They're looking at a whole lot of reputation-and-budget-busting problems with binding shrinkage on Nazareth-made guitars. Gotta be lights-out scary. Bob Taylor mentioned in his memoir that Taylor Guitars' products had to be designed and built in ways that avoided recalls and runs on warrantee claims or else the company would drown in red ink. I think Taylor succeeded nicely. I don't have any idea as to how Martin addressed their problems. I think Taylor, though, didn't shut out warrantee claims or take a year to do them.
I don’t see any sign that Martin is suffering. Martin, Gibson and Fender are much less affected by this sort of thing than newer companies like Taylor.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-12-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I don’t see any sign that Martin is suffering. Martin, Gibson and Fender are much less affected by this sort of thing than newer companies like Taylor.

Why would that be?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion