The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 AM

Default Who has the most travelled guitar?

For those of you that travel with a guitar (whether it's a 'travel guitar' or otherwise), what's your mileage?

My Baby Taylor (purchased at Guitar Centre Hollywood) has hit 13 countries, done about 7,000 miles by car (road trip across Europe, driving my finacée to compete in the Austrian Iron Man and various other journeys here and in the US), about 11,200 miles by train (mostly between home and work locations when I'm working away) and about 30,000 miles by air (mostly between London, San Francisco and Chicago). This was all in about a year and a half.

The Baby Taylor held up well, and always sounded good. I did find the narrow nut difficult to play (I'm used to 1 3/4" or wider, and I only play fingerstyle). However, the environment did take its toll - particularly when driving through Southern France in mid summer, I had to leave the guitar in a hot car a lot of the time. The bridge had started to lift, and the neck was warping. I do think it held up remarkably well, considering the abuse I subjected it to. I retired it when I was in Miami earlier this year, trading it for one of the last CA Cargos.

The Cargo is a better guitar (and I need the 1 3/4" nut really), but I do miss the sound of the BT sometimes - it was much woodier and great for blues and it had a great little personality. I have some great memories playing it in all sorts of great locations - outside by the sea in Mendocino, by the pool at the Grafton on Sunset Boulevard, at a beautiful trout and salmon farm in southern France, serenading my finacée in the Black Forest...

Even though it's not with me any more, I can't bring myself to remove it from my sig line! I also realised I don't have a single pic of it, or me playing it - must have been too busy making music!

Any great travel stories / well travelled guitars out there?

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion