The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2001, 12:50 PM
Jack C. Jarrett

Post Steve Kaufman's guitar

I just recently received Steve Kaufman's video entitled, "Gospel Guitar." IT's the beginner to advanced beginner level if that matters. Anyway, he plays a dreadnough Taylor. It has what I call a sharp cutaway and the regular Martin-style pick guard. The Taylor has the abalone inlay around the sound hole and on the binding of the guiar. The video has a copyright of 1992. What kind of Taylor is this?
Old 03-03-2001, 03:07 PM

Steve's Taylor is an 810C.

His primary guitars these days are Galleghers, he has both a 6 and a 7 string. Gallegher makes a Steve Kaufman model.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:02 PM
Jim

The sharp cutaway style is called a "Florentine" while the rounded one you normally see is called a "Venetian". Florentines were more common on earlier Taylors and you can still get one but it is a pricey Custom Shop upgrade. They are harder to build that way since you have to precisely miter the side's wood to form the sharp angle and then internally brace it rather than just bending the wood into a rounded Venitian cutaway shape. I have a Larrivee' C-10 Custom Shop acoustic with a Florentine cutaway and I think it looks really cool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion