The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2003, 01:10 PM

Question DCSM - amplification questions

i'm very new to amplification so please keep things very simple.

i've got a 1992 Dan Crary Sig Model with (i'm told) "passive electronics." it has a jack but no hole in the side with slider bars, etc. i've had it a couple of years without needing to plug in but i'm getting to the point where i want to. i really like the guitar so...

i've been told i need a pre-amp: any suggestions? are there other electronic options that don't involve chopping a hole in the guitar? i'm not really interested in sound-hole-type pickups but would be interested in hearing any other recommendations and tips for things to look for while deciding what to buy so i can best amplify my guitar's acoustic sound. thanks.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

You might not have to have a preamp. Some of it depends on how "hot" (read "loud") the pickup is. I don't know what pickup is in there, but I suspect someone here will. Of course, having one will give you EQ control & anti-feedback control on stage near you. You might want to look around for a Bagg's Para DI (check eBay).
Old 04-28-2003, 03:53 PM

I have a DCSM with an LR Baggs Dual Source. It's worked well for me. and it has a little "remote control" that attaches to the sound hole so you don't have to cut the side of the guitar. Just the remote is attached to the soundhole not the pickup. The Dual source has a Piezo and a Mic. You might not need the mic so you might want to look into Bagg's other options that have non intrusive controls.

Baggs Dual Source

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion