The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Two trick...switch on the left for one trick and switch on the right for another trick. No scrolling - two presets easy. I have the Andy Timmons type delay on the left and a short slap with mod on the right and a mini MXR Tap Tempo with it.
I think that is part of what frustrated me. What I really wanted was Timmons delay *and* a second delay at the same time, and be able to switch each on/off. But alas, "dual delay" meant one or the other...

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-29-2024, 10:59 AM

Default Oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimeshow22 View Post
I use a few things on my acoustic pedal board reverb chorus delay etc but when im heading out for simple gigs i use a multi effect pedal.....currently a zoom A1Xfour pedal . I like it a lot . It gives you a pedal board within a pedal . For example I can construct a patch that has a comp an eq a chorus and trem and i can assign the foot pedal to control the volume . It lets you toggle thru all your virtual pedals and turn them off and on in real time just like a physical pedal board . It has tons of really usable effects and the guitarlab software lets you swap out and add even more great effects like modulation and even overdrives .....it's really cool ! . While obviously not nearly as good as the different effects it purports to emulate , it does give reasonable facsimiles of fishman , LR Baggs eqs and loads of other famous kinds of compressions and chorus and reverbs and overdrives and also tons of emulations of famous guitar body sounds d18 . j45 ovations etc..... it's pretty dang good for the price . .....it's a swiss army knife that fits into a gig bag ......id love to hear about other peoples rigs that they use for live acoustic work .
The core of my acoustic board is a Zoom MS-50G, the ultimate swiss army knife of effects IMHO. I own two but I'm about to buy an updated version, the 50G+.
Besides saving up to 50 of my own patches (chains of up to 6 effects, depending on DSP used by the fx) I can assign a letter ID to the patches. So for example A might be #23 - acoustic guitar with a nice spring reverb, B might be #2 same acoustic settings (EQ etc) plus a slight chorusing effect via the Detune effect which I love, C might be A plus immersive delay & reverb etc. Has pretty much any effect out there along with OD/distortions and many amp models, all in a single pedal format. It's 2nd to last in the chain, just before my Digitech JamMan XT Solo looper.

1st in chain is a delay/boost, next is a EHX Bass Soul Food for slight overdrive - it allows a mix between clean & OD. Next is a TC Helicon Harmony Singer which is use very sparingly, always set to a 3rd interval above and with the harmony at about 50% volume of my voice. Has good reverb which is easily switchable, so when I'm gigging I can go direct into my powered speakers with no mixer.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 04-29-2024, 12:16 PM

I used a TC Helicon VL3 for years but I just got tired of carrying a pedalboard and the cables all over the floor. Now, I'm using a AER Compact 60/4 Slope. I dial up a little delay from the amp and just play; nothing to step on, no harmonizers, etc. I just don't want the hassle anymore.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:19 PM

My set up is a bit complex.
I plug a vocal mic and my guitar directly into my Bose S1 Pro.
When I feel a little frisky, I add a DI/Preamp just for fun.

This works very well for me.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I have 2 acoustic boards for instrumental:

Guitar duo:

Tuner(TU3)>ToneDeq effects and eq >DD8 Delay

Solo:
Platinum Pro EQ> Octave Pedal> TC Reverb > Keely Workstation Reverb and Delay combo > Pigtronix Looper

Both provide incredible tone!
Old 04-30-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I think that is part of what frustrated me. What I really wanted was Timmons delay *and* a second delay at the same time, and be able to switch each on/off. But alas, "dual delay" meant one or the other...
Gotcha, but the Timmons delay is actually two delays at once, right, 1/4 note & dotted 8th together....so you're actually wanting three different delay times together or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Happens a lot!
Old 04-30-2024, 06:49 AM

My pedal setup includes:

- Sonic Research Tuner
- Corona Chorus
- Alter Ego Delay
- Fathom Reverb
- Play Acoustic Harmonizer (no guitar effects used)

Collings 2012 OM1
Collings 2019 0001
Martin 2018 0-18
Eastman E20OM-TC
Enya X3 Pro Mini
Old 04-30-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
The core of my acoustic board is a Zoom MS-50G, the ultimate swiss army knife of effects IMHO. I own two but I'm about to buy an updated version, the 50G+.
Besides saving up to 50 of my own patches (chains of up to 6 effects, depending on DSP used by the fx) I can assign a letter ID to the patches. So for example A might be #23 - acoustic guitar with a nice spring reverb, B might be #2 same acoustic settings (EQ etc) plus a slight chorusing effect via the Detune effect which I love, C might be A plus immersive delay & reverb etc. Has pretty much any effect out there along with OD/distortions and many amp models, all in a single pedal format. It's 2nd to last in the chain, just before my Digitech JamMan XT Solo looper.

1st in chain is a delay/boost, next is a EHX Bass Soul Food for slight overdrive - it allows a mix between clean & OD. Next is a TC Helicon Harmony Singer which is use very sparingly, always set to a 3rd interval above and with the harmony at about 50% volume of my voice. Has good reverb which is easily switchable, so when I'm gigging I can go direct into my powered speakers with no mixer.
When I used to gig in a band where I used multiple instruments I used a Digitech RP200, which allowed effects naming on its large and easy to see display. I had effects and level programmed for "LAP STL", "AC GTR", "TELE", "FIDDLE", "MANDO", and even "MUTE" for silent switching of instruments. It's too bad more multieffects don't make that a easy option in large LCD letters.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I use mild compression, mild EQ, and a little reverb. Occasionally a looper. Clean, natural sound, simple and ready to play music. That’s all.
I personally can’t stand the sound of chorus or distortion on acoustic. Often that’s enough to make me walk away and stop listening.
Most of this is in my amp, except for a looper. Sometimes I’ll use an outboard looper, or multi-effect box. No pedal boards for me.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
I use mild compression, mild EQ, and a little reverb. Occasionally a looper. Clean, natural sound, simple and ready to play music. That’s all.
I personally can’t stand the sound of chorus or distortion on acoustic. Often that’s enough to make me walk away and stop listening.
Most of this is in my amp, except for a looper. Sometimes I’ll use an outboard looper, or multi-effect box. No pedal boards for me.
I use chorus, but only the lowest setting on my amp which basically splits the signal to the two stereo sides. If your amp isn't true stereo then it wouldn't be nearly as effective. With chorus, if you can tell it's "chorus" then it's too much.

My favorite live performance artist is Richard Thompson, who uses just enough distortion to make his Lowden "rough around the edges". Definitely a good thing in my book.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification