The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2023, 05:22 AM

Default G.A.S. Is officially in remission

Have you ever just had a really bad case of G.A.S. Just go away? I very recently acquired a D-18 and I already had a Yamaha LL-16, but I was gassing for an HD-28. Why? Because it is an HD-28! But, I had an epiphany on Monday. I went to a jam session. I just wanted to see and hear what these fellows were doing and playing. It was very pleasant and I was received with open arms and much good will. I noticed that one fellow was playing a Martin D-28, but I couldn’t hear him. No, I don’t know the exact model number, but it had the herringbone top binding and that was enough for me. I thought that this was somewhat unusual in that D-28’s are not known for being quiet, so I moved closer to him, but I still to couldn’t hear him, so I moved directly next to him. Well, of course he took notice and we talked a bit about his guitar. He did not know what year it was made, but it looked to be in good vintage condition. He offered to let me play it and I eagerly accepted. He only had a VERY thin pick, it was almost like playing with a piece of notebook paper, but after only a few minutes my G.A.S. For an HD-28 evaporated. I’m sure that it was the light strings that were on the guitar and the paper thin pick, but I suddenly realised that my new D-18 and my LL-16 were all the guitars that I’ll ever need. Yeah, I know all the arguments about Rosewood Vs. Mahogany, my LL-16 will cover those bases. Was this a one pill cure for G.A.S.? Will It reoccur? Yeah, probably, but for now I’m satisfied.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Good on you, Jim. I think sometimes we think we want something, but we don’t, really.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-17-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Have you ever had a really bad case of G.A.S. just go away?...
Several times in my life - all of which fell under the broad heading of poverty...
Old 05-17-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Several times in my life - all of which fell under the broad heading of poverty...
Precisely why I do not have the 1968 D-28 that I had on layaway until the spring of 1969…not enough dough to buy the Martin AND cover moving costs to my new college destination (UT Austin). College won. And I never got around to buying a Martin in the following 50 years.

Cheers,
Dirk
Old 05-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Mine has been under control for the past year. As long as I stay on my meds
Old 05-21-2023, 09:27 AM
Get off my lawn kid

The wrong strings can put a guitar in a bad light.

I did a comparison last night between two of my guitars. My Pellerin had on 12 16 22 30 39 52 and my Furch 13 17 25 32 42 53 and the Furch sounded full and the Pellerin thin. Usually the Pellerin sounds like heaven and a little more omph than the Furch. Not last night. I took the Pellerin's strings off and put on a set of Elixir HD (same as the Furch). The universe is back to normal.

Put a set of mediums or the same I put on last night and I bet that HD-28 will be totally different. (with a medium pick)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-21-2023, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Have you ever just had a really bad case of G.A.S. Just go away? I very recently acquired a D-18 and I already had a Yamaha LL-16, but I was gassing for an HD-28. Why? Because it is an HD-28! But, I had an epiphany on Monday. I went to a jam session. I just wanted to see and hear what these fellows were doing and playing. It was very pleasant and I was received with open arms and much good will. I noticed that one fellow was playing a Martin D-28, but I couldn’t hear him. No, I don’t know the exact model number, but it had the herringbone top binding and that was enough for me. I thought that this was somewhat unusual in that D-28’s are not known for being quiet, so I moved closer to him, but I still to couldn’t hear him, so I moved directly next to him. Well, of course he took notice and we talked a bit about his guitar. He did not know what year it was made, but it looked to be in good vintage condition. He offered to let me play it and I eagerly accepted. He only had a VERY thin pick, it was almost like playing with a piece of notebook paper, but after only a few minutes my G.A.S. For an HD-28 evaporated. I’m sure that it was the light strings that were on the guitar and the paper thin pick, but I suddenly realised that my new D-18 and my LL-16 were all the guitars that I’ll ever need. Yeah, I know all the arguments about Rosewood Vs. Mahogany, my LL-16 will cover those bases. Was this a one pill cure for G.A.S.? Will It reoccur? Yeah, probably, but for now I’m satisfied.
So you played one D28 with light strings and a thin pick? No wonder you were not impressed.

But if you have found a way to keep your GAS in check, I congratulate you. Over the past several years I have had reverse -GAS. I have downsized from nearly 100 instrument down to about 35. And I am currently considering more thinning. I generally sell or trade multiple instrument to aquire one outstanding instrument. This takes the sting out of missing the instruments.

Right now contemplating releasing 5 guitars to aquire 2 new ones. My wife would be thrilled to see 5 big hardshell cases disappear. Stay tuned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion