The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 12:59 PM

Taylor 314ce guitars fly out of Guitar Center stores, and I'd bet that guitar was definitely built sometime this year. The ES1 has two sources for pickups: one is a humbucker pickup under the fretboard, and the other is a vibration sensing pickup mounted somewhere under the soundboard. There is a position switch on the guitar's circuit board that allows you to choose which pickup is active. Switch to another position, and check the volume. Also check the 9V battery located at the butt end of the guitar. Switch it out with another battery from, or even the battery in the ES2 314. The battery holder pops in and out like a pistol clip.

Take a close look at the guitar before you buy it. It will still be covered by Taylor's warranty, and any authorized Taylor repair center will perform any needed work, including Guitar Center. Take the guitar over to the store's tech, and ask him why the high e is making that sound. It could be a very quick fix. Don't bother asking the salesman about this sort of issue. Strings do get funky, and sitar sounds can come from many places: loose nut on a tuner, a nut slot that's cut too wide, a sympathetic vibration of one of the electronic's wires (common), and even the ball end of a string which isn't properly seated (common).

As far as not caring about the electronics for now, the ES1 will be easier to replace with something different. The ES2 has three holes drilled completely through the bridge, and removing that system will leave you with three holes to fill. I have an ES2 Taylor, and I'm thinking about using an L.R Baggs Lyric under the saddle microphone. It's an easy installation, except my ES2 stuff also sits under the bridge area, and would have to be removed. That leaves me with three holes in the bridge.....

Another big consideration is which one sounds better acoustically. The one I thought about buying a few days ago sounds much better than some other 314's I've played. If the ES1 sounds as good acoustically as the ES2, I'd grab it. You can buy a great pickup system with the savings, or you might be very happy with the ES1 for the next 5 years. If the store only has one, put it on layaway, because it won't last. The layaway is refundable, and you'll save hundreds of dollars when you decide to buy it this weekend.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:52 PM

If Taylor is making the 314ce guitars with ES2, they haven't announced it anywhere!
It's certainly easy to tell a Taylor with ES2, as mentioned, just look for the 3 adjustment screws in the bridge - see this page for a picture of them.

GC doesn't list any news ones except the ES1 models on their web site, but have plenty of used models < $1300. Note - this search is where I found my NOS 2012 last year for $100 less than the usual price.
Maybe the OP needs to confirm if this was indeed GC where he was offered the deal.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If Taylor is making the 314ce guitars with ES2, they haven't announced it anywhere!
It's certainly easy to tell a Taylor with ES2, as mentioned, just look for the 3 adjustment screws in the bridge - see this page for a picture of them.

GC doesn't list any news ones except the ES1 models on their web site, but have plenty of used models < $1300. Note - this search is where I found my NOS 2012 last year for $100 less than the usual price.
Maybe the OP needs to confirm if this was indeed GC where he was offered the deal.
The ES2 for the taylor 314ce just arrived. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-3...02-i3838399.gc

When i was there yesterday, there was this 3 screw looking things under the saddle.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM

You can also see ES2 314's at Zzounds, American Musical Supply, etc. Guitar Center is not advertising this sale on their website. I saw a guy buy a 2014 414ce for $1,450 a couple of weeks ago at GC. Apparently, Taylor is going to offer ES2 on all the built in California guitars.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:55 PM

I guess Taylor has quietly started rolling out the ES2 across the U.S. made product line - the website certainly hasn't been updated to show the change.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-13-2014, 04:29 PM

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAY314CEES2

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAY314CE2012

It was said earlier this year that eventually all California Taylors would get ES2, but it seems they're moving faster.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
You can also see ES2 314's at Zzounds, American Musical Supply, etc. Guitar Center is not advertising this sale on their website. I saw a guy buy a 2014 414ce for $1,450 a couple of weeks ago at GC. Apparently, Taylor is going to offer ES2 on all the built in California guitars.
Are you sure it's not 314ce? That's like 28% off the 414ce. The most I've seen guitar center offer for minimum advertise price is 15% off. If 414ce is at $1,450 price, I would so get the 414ce instead.

(314ce 15% off) 1699 * 0.85 = $1,444.15
(414ce 28% off) 1999* 0.72 = $1,439.28
Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acisawesome View Post
Are you sure it's not 314ce? That's like 28% off the 414ce. The most I've seen guitar center offer for minimum advertise price is 15% off. If 414ce is at $1,450 price, I would so get the 414ce instead.

(314ce 15% off) 1699 * 0.85 = $1,444.15
(414ce 28% off) 1999* 0.72 = $1,439.28
They only had one 414ce, and sold it at the clearance price a couple of weeks ago. They only have one 314ce ES1 now, and told me that's the last ES1 Taylor they'll stock. The rest will now be ES2. The Made in Mexico Taylors will remained unchanged.

I bought an Acoustic AG15 amp at GC a month ago, and the clearance price was $49. They were selling them on their website for $129, and they had them lined up like ducks at the store. They sold every single one. Nice amp BTW.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
They only had one 414ce, and sold it at the clearance price a couple of weeks ago. They only have one 314ce ES1 now, and told me that's the last ES1 Taylor they'll stock. The rest will now be ES2. The Made in Mexico Taylors will remained unchanged.

I bought an Acoustic AG15 amp at GC a month ago, and the clearance price was $49. They were selling them on their website for $129, and they had them lined up like ducks at the store. They sold every single one. Nice amp BTW.
Oh it's clearance. That makes sense now. Wait the ES1 are made in mexico? I guess I should get the ES2 ones instead
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=That's a horrible price. Check our vendors here. Used they go for $850-900.[/QUOTE]

I dunno ... $2,198 is the MSRP on the 314ce, so 40% off of MSRP would be $1,319.

For used, 50% of $2,198 would still be $1,099.

I have a straight accoustic, non-cutaway Taylor GA3 with a Fishman Matrix that I would need $850 for if I were selling.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

No the ES 1 guitars are/ were made in El Cajon USA
Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 PM

Trinity guitars has a 414ce listed at $1499 new on their close out page. Just another option.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtcharlie View Post
Trinity guitars has a 414ce listed at $1499 new on their close out page. Just another option.
There ya go. Now's the time to snatch up the ES1 guitars: cutaway with electronics, offered at non-cutaway, no electronics prices. Even if you don't want the electronics, you can't get a cutaway without them. Can't loose the way I see it, unless you want ES2 electronics.

Simply put, Taylor is moving ES2 into 314 and 414 guitars faster than people expected. The big dealers are clearing out the ES1 guitars, to make room for the ES2. I bought my ES2 712e at a 15% discount, and would not have paid full price for an ES2 guitar. I'd rather have something like the Baggs Lyric. If you take advantage of the clearance on 314 and 414 ES1 guitars, you'll save more than needed for a really nice system now, or any time in the future. Meanwhile, if you want a cutaway, it's going to be ES2, or BTO. No savings there, and probably not the system many would choose if they could pick anything they'd like.

The chains aren't advertising these prices online. Maybe they don't want people to think the regular price is an increase, or Taylor is discouraging the lower prices. All I know is the guitars I saw were new, and offered at a great discount. Don't worry about the price being too low. Every once in a while, a bargain awaits you.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post

Here's one
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/314ceES2
Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken thumb View Post
Mine has the ES1 as far as I know (2004, unmodified) I gig with it, and it sounds great. I paid a lot less than that for mine (used), but you're getting to handle both of the ones you are considering, which is worth a lot.

New, you get the factory warranty. Used, you can save a lot of money. That makes more difference to me than which version of the electronics are inboard. BTW, you can upgrade an ES1 to an ES2, if you want to.
Not sure you can yet actually, the ES2 is a different system, based on piezo technology BEHIND the saddle instead of under it. Later versions of the original ES are easy to upgrade to - I've done the upgrade to version 3 and it is better, though still not ideal.

The price seems a bit steep to me, though I understand the desire for one of them. I would echo what others say, shop around a bit and see if you can get a new one with the latest ES for a reasonable price.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
model, neck, pickup, taylor 314ce, year