The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 AM

Default Cheap Fingerstyle guitar

Hello fellow guitar players,

I'm playing the guitar for quite some time now and want to get an steel string guitar. I play a lot of fingerstyle so I want it to be good for that purpose.
Before I go to the music shop I want to get a good insight in what kind of guitar would be possible. My budget is 200 euro's. I want to buy it in the shop nearby,because I want to try it out.

I was thinking of the Yamaha f310,but it's doesn't have a solid top does that matter?
Is it better to go for a Ibanez PC15-NT,because that one has a grand concert body instead of a dreadnought.

Do you guys recommend an other (sort) guitar (the shop nearby is a bit limited in brands,so it might be I won't go for it)?

Thanks for helping
Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 AM

In my opinion, go for a guitar with a wider neck like around 1.75" nut,
the wider string spacing allows for easier/cleaner fretting.
I'm not sure if that Ibanez has this, I know the AC240 and AC300 do.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Guest316

Hi Akoestische, and welcome to the group

Everyone will have opinions about which guitar you should get. But let me start by saying the best course is to go to your local shop with an open mind, and play what they have available in your price range. Then choose the one that you love the most, regardless of the name on the headstock.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Thanks for responding.
The Ibanez has a nut from 42mm,so that is 1.654 inches (a bit small).
I wanted to have a "good" guitar in my mind to fall back to,but maybe it's indeed better to start with an open mind. I know a guitar is very personal and need to feel good. But I want to make a good choice,that's the reason why I have asked for some advise.
I know they have a lot of richwood's where I read a lot of negative reviews off on the internet. Maybe I need to trust the employees to select the right guitar.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 AM

My advice is to save your money a bit longer and get a better guitar. The Blueridge guitars are very nice. I have a BR-163 which is a wonderful guitar. It cost around $700 USD. Also since you are in Europe you can get a Sigma, which are supposed to be very good. I did play an inexpensive Ibanez with a solid top. I am not sure of the model number but it was very nice for the money. It sells for $249 USD. The Yamaha FS-700S is a nice guitar that sells for $200 USD and it has a solid top.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 AM

I can't seem to find the yamaha you mentioned in shops nearby.
When I search for the guitar on the yamaha site I only get a hit when on the US site,not on the global site (or an European country).
The shop nearby doesn't sell sigma's.

You recommend to get at least a solid top guitar,than I will take extra care if I try a non-solid top guitar.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:39 AM

Some pretty decent advice in here so far. I've played the Kindred guitars before (the brand name for Sigma in the American market) and they are good. If you are willing to save a bit more for a Sigma, that is a guitar that could take you very far.

If you really want to stick with your current budget, I know Yamaha makes very good guitars in the lower price categories. My only recommendation at this price level is to try to stick with something that has a solid top.

It sounds like the Yamahas are not very abundant in your area, and unfortunately I am not very familiar with the other offerings that are available in the European market.

As others have already suggested, going into the store with open mind is usually the best course of action. Have the shop employee help you find the guitars in your budget, ask them for specs, and get the one that souds and feels best to you.

There is a lot of talk around here as to what types of guitars are best for fingerstyle, but you will see amazing guitarists playing fingerstyle on just about every shape and size of guitar out there.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM

Hi .. i would suggest one of the RO series of the Recording King Guitars... Great stuff for the money..
Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Cool Cheap Fingerstyle Guitar

If available in your area, check out a Recording King ROS-06 FE3. It's a 000-12 fret body, solid Sitka spruce top, with mahogany back and sides. It has a 1-7/8 nut, and slotted headstock, which is ideal for fingerstyle play. It has a UST pickup with controls mounted inside the soundhole. They sound so good, I bought 2, so I had one just for backup! Street price new is around $400, but the case is extra.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions,I appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion