The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar would be best for me? Please comment as well.
Taylor X12ce 17 45.95%
Taylor X14ce 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2014, 04:07 PM

Question Taylor x12ce or x14ce?

So I'm in the market for a new guitar. I've decided to choose a taylor. I've played them both and like both of their sounds. I' would, however, like some opinions. I'm trying to decide whether a grand concert (x12) or a grand auditorium (x14) would be better for me. Im a pretty casual player and like to play a combination of fingerstyle and strumming. I owned a dreadnought but my main problem with it was it's size. That's why I'm not too sure about the GA body guitar because it's nearly the size of a dreadnought. My main problem with the GC body is that is might not suit my playing style very well. I just like to sit on the couch and play for myself and friends. I also sing occasionally. From some research I feel as if the grand auditorium might suit my needs better, but I really like the size of the grand concert. What are you guys thoughts? Could you give me some pros and cons? And let me know if you think a grand concert would still be a good choice for my needs?

Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 PM

The x14 is more of an all purpose guitar. I would not worry about the size. I started off with a dread, but when I got my GS (x16) it is way more comfortable for me to play than my 710. I'm only about 5'9", and I could not comfortably sit on a couch and play my dread. The GS sits in my lap easier, so I would imagine the grand auditorium would be even more comfortable to play. You would also get a little fuller sound out of the grand auditorium. If the x12 you are considering was a 12-fretter, I would get that instead of the grand auditorium. That's just me, though. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Sounds to me like you would be happier with a GA body. Strumming on a GC isn't nearly as good a sound to *me* as on a GA while I feel like fingerstyle is great on both.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you choose. I love Taylors.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Buy both of them.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM

IMHO I like the idea of a X12 smaller body, its more huggable & easier to play. Yes the larger body will sound louder, but do you really need loudness?

if you wind up liking the X12 over the X14 try the X12 12-Fret

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 06-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Sounds to me like you should buy the smaller one, but it's not that much difference. The GA is probably better for strumming.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

You sit on the couch & play for yourself & a few friends... and sing ocassionally..... & the GC is comfortable for you. Buy it! It will do all you ask of it & more. The GC strums fine, unless your trying to compete with dreads & banjos!!! I've owned both GC (x12) & GA (x14) Taylors..... as well as a GS (x16) & many GS Minis! The GC will make you happy IMHO.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
IMHO I like the idea of a X12 smaller body, its more huggable & easier to play. Yes the larger body will sound louder, but do you really need loudness?

if you wind up liking the X12 over the X14 try the X12 12-Fret
When you say 12 fret what exactly do you mean? Does the guitar actually only have 12 frets? I feel like that's really short, what are the advantages?
Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzijeff View Post
You sit on the couch & play for yourself & a few friends... and sing ocassionally..... & the GC is comfortable for you. Buy it! It will do all you ask of it & more. The GC strums fine, unless your trying to compete with dreads & banjos!!! I've owned both GC (x12) & GA (x14) Taylors..... as well as a GS (x16) & many GS Minis! The GC will make you happy IMHO.
Thanks for the input!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:03 PM

to be honest, i've never owned a GC taylor. i've played a few and they aren't bad little strummers, but they do tend to break down under more aggressive strumming like i play.
i have a K10ce that i play very rarely because of the DN size... just too uncomfortable to play for long periods.
i do have a few( quite a few) GA's and GS'. like guzzijeff says, the GS is much easier to play than the dreads. the GA even more so. if strumming and some fingerstyle is what you do, the GS would be better than the GA. it's a very capable fingerstyle guitar and an excellent strummer.
easiest way for me to describe it is that the GS is a better fingerstyle guitar than the GC is a strummer.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Going through the exact same scenario. I am a 5'5" on a good day. I have very small hands.

I bought a used 2003 714 ce ltd. It's a gorgeous guitar. Cocobola/spruce with tons of bling. Beautiful. The only problem is I can't play it. It's too big for me.

So after looking at Taylor 712's and Martin 000's I have decided to build a custom 000. It just felt better than anything I have played.

So if the 714 is too big do not buy it. You are not going to get any bigger. Also please search for "need the wisdom of the forum" thread I posted a few days ago. Lots and lots of great feedback on this very issue

Best of luck

Last edited by Sponserv; 06-08-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 PM

From the description of how you like to play, sitting on the couch and occassionally singing by yourself or friends, I would say the GC is a perfect fit. I own both a GA and a GC. They are both fine guitars, but I play my GC more. I opted to go with 14 frets, but short scale.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndaquil View Post
... play a combination of fingerstyle and strumming. I owned a dreadnought but my main problem with it was it's size. That's why I'm not too sure about the GA body guitar because it's nearly the size of a dreadnought. My main problem with the GC body is that is might not suit my playing style very well. I just like to sit on the couch and play for myself and friends. I also sing occasionally. From some research I feel as if the grand auditorium might suit my needs better, but I really like the size of the grand concert....
Since you've brought up the subject of fingerstyle and strumming, I would've suggested getting an X14/GA. But then you stressed the fact the you "like the size of a grand concert"...I'd suggest you get the X12 instead. It's the one you "really like" after all.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I answered the poll to quickly, said X14, but after thinking about it, I think the GC will be a better choice in a wood combination that handles strumming better. For the couch and small groups, I think you'll be very comfortable.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc View Post
easiest way for me to describe it is that the GS is a better fingerstyle guitar than the GC is a strummer.
Well said, that summarizes the issue in a nutshell. I am a big guy wih large hands and very long arms, but can no longer play dreads due to a shoulder injury. The GS works, but the GA size is best of all. I have no problem at all keeping up at bluegrass jams with my 414, which is also an excellent finger picking guitar. But reading between the lines it seems like you really want the GC size, which comes with a short scale (not mentioned by that may be an ven more important issue for small hands).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
grand auditorium, grand concert, taylor 312ce, taylor 314ce