The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Default Taylor 314ce or Eastman 522ce?

Hi guys,

I have a dilemma between settling on a Taylor 314ce or an Eastman 522ce.

I recently bought the Taylor (2013 model) new at the Taylor Roadshow for a good price $1100. However I always wanted an Eastman, but could never find one in my area (Twin Cities).

Things I like about the Taylor:
  • Excellent playability
  • Expression System
  • Price
  • It's a Taylor

Things I don't care about so much:
  • Sound unplugged(not responsive to fingerstyle)
  • Looks (not as beautiful as the Eastman)
  • Fret buzz (I was told at the store that they could fix it)

Things I like about the Eastman:
  • Looks
  • Superior Wood

Things that may be a concern:
  • Playability
  • Pickups
  • Sound
Since I've never played an Eastman 522ce (only saw reviews online) I want to ask whether it's a better choice? On paper it looks like an ideal guitar (I am a mahogany fan). My main concern is whether the Eastman will have the same playability as the Taylor? I really don't like thick necks and prefer the thinner neck profile. My playing style is soft to aggressive finger-style + occasional picking.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the Taylor, but there's a voice in the back of my head that says I should return it and get an Eastman online.

(P.S. Please don't suggest I get something with a cedar top, I already have a Taylor GS5 and I want a brighter sounding guitar that I can plug in)

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:21 PM

As a lover of Taylors and an owner of an Eastman, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. If you can get the fret buzz fixed on your Taylor, then I'd stick with it you already know you like it. I had the complete reverse situation as you. I really wanted a Taylor 322 but I bought an Eastman AJ816ce blind since the comparable maple Taylor was significantly pricier. No regrets on the Eastman whatsoever, but since they're different enough, I would love to own both eventually.

To me, an Eastman plays a bit like a Gibson but the Taylor has the ever so slightly better playability. As for plugged, my Eastman has great sounding electronics too. Took the right strings to figure out which wouldn't make it too harsh sounding but now it's dialed in almost as good as the electronics on my Takamine, and the Tak is the king as far as electronics go at my house.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Interesting

To me the appearance of a guitar is very important and the Eastman just looks so good, while the Taylor is more "utilitarian." Also Engelman Spruce/Hog would be my ideal choice of woods where Sitka/Sapele seems like a close substitute.

Playbility is my main concern though. If only I could get my hands on an Eastman...
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM

I literally just bought a 314ce just now then I open up this thread. Mine is also a 2013 which I paid $1000 for.

The only way to answer this question is for you to play both.

I find my self wondering if your con against the Taylor about responsiveness to finger style couldn't be fixed with a simple string change.

The 3 series Taylor definitely has utilitarian looks. I have to agree there.

As far as fret buzz, you can definitely get that fixed and should ASAP.

I think you are hung up a little in the looks department.

Also it is worth pointing out that "superior wood" does not always equate to superior sound going from one brand to another.

I would see if I could fix 2 out of 3 of your cons against the Taylor and then live with the understated looks personally.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
I literally just bought a 314ce just now then I open up this thread. Mine is also a 2013 which I paid $1000 for.

The only way to answer this question is for you to play both.

I find my self wondering if your con against the Taylor about responsiveness to finger style couldn't be fixed with a simple string change.

The 3 series Taylor definitely has utilitarian looks. I have to agree there.

As far as fret buzz, you can definitely get that fixed and should ASAP.

I think you are hung up a little in the looks department.

Also it is worth pointing out that "superior wood" does not always equate to superior sound going from one brand to another.

I would see if I could fix 2 out of 3 of your cons against the Taylor and then live with the understated looks personally.
Thanks,

My dilemma would be easily fixed if I could actually play the Eastman. I have played an Eastman 10D which sounds great and owned an Eastman ETG1, which is a fine little parlor guitar. I am a graphic designer so the looks of a guitar are very important to me (it helps with the hole bonding thing ). However I may go with the Taylor because I really like the playability and the brand. I just don't want to regret not getting the Eastman while I can still return the Taylor.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM

I own an Eastman ac322ce, and it looks and sounds amazing. It's sitka+sapele, very responsive to fingerpicking, excellent sustain. It has a thin neck and it's very easy to play. The luthier set it up for me with a ridiculously low action with no buzz (even with a heavy touch).

As a side note, my E6D has a sitka top and mahogany back and sides. It sounds even better, although the E series (as opposed to the AC series) have a chunkier neck.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:12 PM

I have a ac522 and it has depth, bass, and power - a little more of everything than a 314. The Gotoh tuners are excellent too.

That said, I would play one first. The necks are quite different. Taylor is much thinner profile. My 522 has less than perfect intonation though. Volume wise, it is HUGE! I play extra lights on mine and it is far louder than a 314. A LOT more bass too - almost sounds like rosewood with less overtones.

It is extremely responsive and is equally impressive as a finger picker and a strummer.

They are great guitars- loud and responsive. I would give Taylor a huge edge in resale and perhaps a slight edge in build quality. The nitro top on mine is cracked all the way across (I bought it like that for a STEEP discount) - the finish is more delicate than a Taylor.

+/- to both. Try before you buy.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Thanks,

My dilemma would be easily fixed if I could actually play the Eastman. I have played an Eastman 10D which sounds great and owned an Eastman ETG1, which is a fine little parlor guitar. I am a graphic designer so the looks of a guitar are very important to me (it helps with the hole bonding thing ). However I may go with the Taylor because I really like the playability and the brand. I just don't want to regret not getting the Eastman while I can still return the Taylor.
Having now looked up the Eastman, it looks fairly utilitarian as well. I think I was expecting bling hearing you talk about it. I can see where you think it might look better, I agree.

The choice is yours and you have to be happy with it. For the price you paid you could probably sell it for as much as you have in it any time down the road if you truly decide it's not the guitar for you.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
Having now looked up the Eastman, it looks fairly utilitarian as well. I think I was expecting bling hearing you talk about it. I can see where you think it might look better, I agree.

The choice is yours and you have to be happy with it. For the price you paid you could probably sell it for as much as you have in it any time down the road if you truly decide it's not the guitar for you.
I don't like too much guitar bling. The Eastman has a beautiful AAA Engelman top and a wood rosette which to me looks elegant and understated but not "boring" like the 314ce. I also prefer the look of Mahogany (I think 522ce has flamed hog) vs Sapele,
Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have a ac522 and it has depth, bass, and power - a little more of everything than a 314. The Gotoh tuners are excellent too.

That said, I would play one first. The necks are quite different. Taylor is much thinner profile. My 522 has less than perfect intonation though. Volume wise, it is HUGE! I play extra lights on mine and it is far louder than a 314. A LOT more bass too - almost sounds like rosewood with less overtones.

It is extremely responsive and is equally impressive as a finger picker and a strummer.

They are great guitars- loud and responsive. I would give Taylor a huge edge in resale and perhaps a slight edge in build quality. The nitro top on mine is cracked all the way across (I bought it like that for a STEEP discount) - the finish is more delicate than a Taylor.

+/- to both. Try before you buy.

Roy
Thanks! You reply helped quite a bit as I was wondering about the neck width of the Eastman. The neck may swing the vote for me ultimately. Is the Eastman neck ALOT thicker than a Taylors or just a slightly?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 PM

I have owned several Taylors and Eastmans including the 522. The neck is a little thicker on the Eastmans and it is hard to beat the playability of the Taylor necks.
The tone of the Eastman 522 was really sweet. Probably one of the sweetest Mahogany guitars I have played for under $1500
Toby Walker had one for sale here on the forum just last week and he was really bragging it up.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks! You reply helped quite a bit as I was wondering about the neck width of the Eastman. The neck may swing the vote for me ultimately. Is the Eastman neck ALOT thicker than a Taylors or just a slightly?
A lot like a typical Martin neck, IMO. A little thicker than the Taylor - but not a huge difference. Talking about PROFILE here, not width - the width is the same as the Taylor (1.75 at the nut). If Taylor is a thin "C", then Eastman is a thick "C". My RK ROS-10 is a thick "D" - way thicker than the Eastman.

I prefer a thicker neck. Thin profile necks tend to make me use too much thumb pressure and it makes my hand sore after a few days (I gig and practice 1-1.5 hours most days).

My ac522 has sustain for DAYS, really lush - almost TOO much for some styles. It absolutely excels at finger style (at least mine does) because of the lushness and sustain.

I think the Taylor is more versatile but the Eastman is a great guitar too.

Believe it or not, the best finger style guitar I have is the Recording King. The wider string spacing at the saddle makes it perfect for that. Not as loud strummed as the 522 or a Taylor 314, but more responsive than the Taylor finger style for sure. You can get one from Elderly for less than 360 right now w/a free setup. Strums great too. Does have a FAT neck though.

You got a great deal on the Taylor - why not keep it and use the savings to buy a ROS-10? A lot less $ than the Eastman. Then you will have an excellent strummer and an excellent finger style axe without going broke.

Just an Idea, Roy

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
A lot like a typical Martin neck, IMO. A little thicker than the Taylor - but not a huge difference. Talking about PROFILE here, not width - the width is the same as the Taylor (1.75 at the nut). If Taylor is a thin "C", then Eastman is a thick "C". My RK ROS-10 is a thick "D" - way thicker than the Eastman.

I prefer a thicker neck. Thin profile necks tend to make me use too much thumb pressure and it makes my hand sore after a few days (I gig and practice 1-1.5 hours most days).

My ac522 has sustain for DAYS, really lush - almost TOO much for some styles. It absolutely excels at finger style (at least mine does) because of the lushness and sustain.

I think the Taylor is more versatile but the Eastman is a great guitar too.

Believe it or not, the best finger style guitar I have is the Recording King. The wider string spacing at the saddle makes it perfect for that. Not as loud strummed as the 522 or a Taylor 314, but more responsive than the Taylor finger style for sure. You can get one from Elderly for less than 360 right now w/a free setup. Strums great too. Does have a FAT neck though.

You got a great deal on the Taylor - why not keep it and use the savings to buy a ROS-10? A lot less $ than the Eastman. Then you will have an excellent strummer and an excellent finger style axe without going broke.

Just an Idea, Roy
Thanks Roy. It's true I got a good deal on the taylor, but I don't want that to prevent me from buying a guitar that I really want vs a guitar that's OK but is a good deal. I've done that before and ended up selling those guitars.

I appreciate your neck comparisons it really helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 PM

You might look at the 324e. I'd prefer that anyday to the 314ce. I cant believe I'm witnessing this!

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks Roy. It's true I got a good deal on the taylor, but I don't want that to prevent me from buying a guitar that I really want vs a guitar that's OK but is a good deal. I've done that before and ended up selling those guitars.

I appreciate your neck comparisons it really helps.
You're welcome and I certainly understand - been there myself. Good luck, Roy

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
choice, eastman 522ce, taylor 314ce