The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson 2020 SJ versus SJ200 Pre War

I'm fairly interested in two of the new Gibson 2020 acoustics, the 1942 Southern Jumbo, and the SJ200 Pre War. I've never played a Southern Jumbo, how do they compare to the Advanced Jumbo and the SJ200?
Old 03-19-2020, 03:45 PM

The Southern Jumbo is basically a fancier version of the J-45, with double parallelogram fingerboard inlays and a few other cosmetic differences. The Advanced Jumbo has the same body shape and size but has a longer scale length with a different, scalloped bracing pattern that makes the AJ both loud and very projective (loudness and projection are related but different qualities.) Advanced Jumbos also have rosewood backs and sides.

The SJ-200 is a larger guitar with a lower bout that’s 17 inches across. In my experience this body style is one of Gibson’s more hit-or-miss designs, with some examples sounding great and others quite muddy.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion