The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 AM

Default The problem with finding the one...

Well, my D-18 sounds so amazing at everything it does that I think I have a problem. I suddenly don't want to play anything but this guitar. That's a good thing right? Well, maybe not...

I'm already working to sell my 814ce because the D-18 just has something special. It's what I want to grab for playing my church music, what I grab for singing Jason Isbell covers, and even what I've started preferring for my Celtic DADGAD noodling.

What's a man to do when you find that single guitar that sweeps you off your feet and demands so much attention that you forget your other guitars?

I also want to apologize for the forum for talking about selling my 814ce so often. I know some of you are like "go ahead and sell it already!" But it isn't that simple.

I'm not wealthy, blessed sure, but I am not "rolling in the dough" haha. I'm just a regular guy with expensive guitar tastes and while I wish I could own several different guitars, I just can't afford it so in order to feed my proverbial GAS, it's one in one out.

So, at the moment I'm infatuated with Martin guitars. I love my D-18 so much that in my mind I know that the Taylor will sit in the closet. I just can't let a guitar as expensive as an 814 just sit in the closet...
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I get it, well sort of. If your concept of great sound is deep acoustic tone then bigger is always better. I fall into that camp and after trying to like guitars that are smaller than a Taylor GA, I just can't do it. If I were comfortable with guitars that are larger than a Taylor GA, then their tone would probably eclipse anything in my current stable of four GAs. If your D-18's tone has sent your 814 into retirement and not just its being the newer one, then it must truly be an amazing instrument....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-18-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I get it, well sort of. If your concept of great sound is deep acoustic tone then bigger is always better. I fall into that camp and after trying to like guitars that are smaller than a Taylor GA, I just can't do it. If I were comfortable with guitars that are larger than a Taylor GA, then their tone would probably eclipse anything in my current stable of four GAs. If your D-18's tone has sent your 814 into retirement, then it must truly be an amazing instrument....
It's not just the tone of the D-18, it's the entire experience. I dunno, maybe I just have mental OCD issues why I can't enjoy two amazing guitars. I just look at my 814 and see wasted money because I should love it and somewhere along the way I don't and I just feel so BAD about that!!!

But yes the D-18 just sounds HUGE and I love that about it. I want to play it 24/7. But, I do still want to follow my plan to get a guitar to leave in DADGAD tuning but it's hard to put the D-18 down long enough to use the Taylor.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 AM

You could look at this as a "problem," or you could simply:

Enjoy playing your guitar.

You'll know when the time is right to sell the other one.

Life is beautiful!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:59 AM

Although you have fallen in love with your D18, try to avoid the temptation to get rid of the Taylor for a while longer. I say this because these two guitars are so different and you are still "honeymooning" with the Martin.
Although you may end up being perfectly happy with your new number one, sooner or later, you will grab that 814 and start playing and be wowed again by what it is.
Nothin' wrong with letting it sit for awhile unless you really need the cash.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Although you have fallen in love with your D18, try to avoid the temptation to get rid of the Taylor for a while longer. I say this because these two guitars are so different and you are still "honeymooning" with the Martin.
Although you may end up being perfectly happy with your new number one, sooner or later, you will grab that 814 and start playing and be wowed again by what it is.
Nothin' wrong with letting it sit for awhile unless you really need the cash.
Why do I know you are so right!!! lol
Old 09-18-2017, 07:04 AM

Yeah, the D18 will do that to you. Maybe you just need to find the thing the Taylor does better than the Martin and appreciate it for that. And maybe that will be enough to keep it around. I'd be careful dumping the Taylor just to pick up another Martin because you want more more more of what the D18 does for you emotionally. Too much of a good thing and all that...
Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM

I agree. Completely different guitars with different sounds and one is a cutaway. Keep them both, because you will miss the Taylor once it's gone! Now, if you had a 914CE or 714CE, I would suggest you sell one due to redundancy. But you have the wonderful 'problem' of having 2 guitars from different ends of the spectrum. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Picker View Post
You could look at this as a "problem," or you could simply:

Enjoy playing your guitar.

You'll know when the time is right to sell the other one.

Life is beautiful!
Yes, life is beautiful!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
Yeah, the D18 will do that to you. Maybe you just need to find the thing the Taylor does better than the Martin and appreciate it for that. And maybe that will be enough to keep it around. I'd be careful dumping the Taylor just to pick up another Martin because you want more more more of what the D18 does for you emotionally. Too much of a good thing and all that...
OMG, the D-18 does exactly this!!! HOW did you know??!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
OMG, the D-18 does exactly this!!! HOW did you know??!!!
Because I have one.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 AM

Selling good guitars because of the acquisition of another good guitar has, in my experience, almost always resulted in regrets.

Selling cheap guitars for the same reason, in my experience, never results in regrets.

Keep it a while, you will find the obvious place for it that yes, even Martins don't fill.

rct
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 AM

What you have is NGI, New Guitar Infatuation. I've had it with almost every guitar I've bought for decades.If you really can't afford to keep both around, I'd caution you not to play the 814 before you sell it as you will probably rediscover all the reasons you bought it in the first place.

Just sell it quick and in about 3-5 years, you can post about "the one that got away" as you reminisce about the great 814 you had for a while.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Default Sell the Taylor

I have quite a few Martins. Every time I'd pick up a Taylor I'd think this is a really nice guitar and the tone is really nice. Then I'd pick up a martin and the tone is so far superior that the Taylor's in comparison seem thin and lifeless. That's why I'm selling most of my Taylors.

That's me. I know others feel differently but I vastly prefer Martins. I suspect you're the same. Sell the 814. Embrace your preference and use the cash to get a used OM 28 Marquis. You can't just have one Martin - there are so many great ones.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 AM

Think you should send your 814 to me to keep it limbered up and functioning at the top of its game.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion