The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2022, 08:21 PM

Default GHS Roundcore

Just ordered some of the GHS round core to try on my new Brook - needed something with lower tension as I haven't played a lot lately. Any reports on these? Has anyone tried them? Like them? Hate them?
Old 03-17-2022, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Skip Ellis;6958567]Just ordered some of the GHS round core to try on my new Brook - needed something with lower tension as I haven't played a lot lately. Any reports on these? Has anyone tried them? Like them? Hate them?[/

Not yet Skip. But I reckon you can’t go wrong—GHS knows strings. I’ve used Pyramids, Newtones, and Sunbeams. I’ll try GHS when my current stash runs dry.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-17-2022, 09:34 PM

I thought I'd like the low tension more than I did, they're a little bit too floppy for me, however I love round cores, DR Sunbeams are my favourite.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:44 PM

I switched from Martin strings to DR Sun Beams and could not be happier.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:28 AM

I remain skeptical about generalizations such as strings wound on a round core equal anything more than at most slightly lower tension and certainly not to the point they might feel "floppy." If a round core alone was enough to appreciably lower tension there would be no reason for companies like Newtone or GHS to offer low tension strings.

That said, strings wound on a round core do feel less stiff and more flexible. I aways assumed it has something to do with core to wrap ratio.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I remain skeptical about generalizations such as strings wound on a round core equal anything more than at most slightly lower tension and certainly not to the point they might feel "floppy." If a round core alone was enough to appreciably lower tension there would be no reason for companies like Newtone or GHS to offer low tension strings.

That said, strings wound on a round core do feel less stiff and more flexible. I aways assumed it has something to do with core to wrap ratio.
My bad I thought he was referring to GHS Thincore, that's their low tension strings, and yes they are much lower tension and yes I found them floppy, try them yourself.

But you're right, round core in and of itself doesn't mean low tension, Sunbeams are my go to and they're not low tension.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I tried them a long time ago and thought they were fine but I remember I didn't like them as much as Sunbeams.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-18-2022, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I find GHS strings to have a great feel, even the hex cores. GHS has a different wrap wire to core wire ratio which I like. With the exception of their Thin Cores, their core wire is slightly thicker and their wrap wire thinner than most other brands which to my fingers feel more comfortable to play and still have a good, full tone. I also like their round core strings but not quite as much as Newtones, which are pricier. Your ears and fingers will let you know if the GHS round cores are right for you.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion