The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Default need help in getting a taylor as a gift. anything is helpful

hi all,
i'm new here and decided this would be the best way to get help in purchasing a taylor. My boyfriends birthday is coming up and I'm planning on buying him a top of the line taylor. He is a great player and has been playing for some time now. He enjoys playing songs like those of Ben Harper. I was thinking about a 710 simply because of what I've heard about it. My question to you all is, is this a good, modest, or great guitar. Where would be the CHEAPEST place to purchase this guitar preferably in the southern california area. Also is this the kind of guitar you would keep for life, or would you probably end up trading it in for a better one. Thank you so much for your help!
Marissa
Old 04-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa74
hi all,
i'm new here and decided this would be the best way to get help in purchasing a taylor. My boyfriends birthday is coming up and I'm planning on buying him a top of the line taylor. He is a great player and has been playing for some time now. He enjoys playing songs like those of Ben Harper. I was thinking about a 710 simply because of what I've heard about it. My question to you all is, is this a good, modest, or great guitar. Where would be the CHEAPEST place to purchase this guitar preferably in the southern california area. Also is this the kind of guitar you would keep for life, or would you probably end up trading it in for a better one. Thank you so much for your help!
Marissa
The sounds like a great gift...and the 710 is a very good guitar. Might I suggest a little more recon though? It would be great, if there's a store around, to get your boyfriend in to a store and see what he likes. The trick is to have him do it without realizing what you are up to! Maybe you could have a friend somehow take him or something - you know, "hey! wanna go look at guitars?" It might be hard to do, but it could help you in your buying decision.

Just a thought.

I'm sure he'll love it whatever you get him, and the Taylors are all so good anyway, that you can't really go wrong.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 04-15-2004, 04:08 PM

Hi Marissa,

Some of the points you raise are subjective...whether the 710 is good/modest/great, and whether it's a guitar for life. Taylor makes a variety of models that cover a wide range of playing styles, tones, budgets, etc.

Speaking only for me personally...I have 9 guitars and I will never ever sell or trade any of them...not because they're collectible but because they're each special to me in some way. Other people buy, sell, and trade all the time and that's fine.

One tiny word of caution...it sounds like your boyfriend is a serious player. I don't mean to overstate the obvious, but buying a fairly expensive guitar is not the same as buying a fairly expensive lawn mower (bad analogy?). My wife wouldn't dream of buying me a guitar because it's such a personal thing in my case. I wouldn't toss it out, but I wouldn't want her to spend that kind of money on something I didn't really like. Now, if your boyfriend has been observed salivating over a 710 in a music store...

I can't help you on southern California dealers...I live in NC. Good luck, and may I say it sounds like your boyfriend is a pretty lucky guy!

Rick
Old 04-15-2004, 04:12 PM

One of my friend's wife just bought him a new guitar. Since I talk about guitars all of the time, she got me to find out what he wanted. So you might get one of his friends to find out what he might be looking for. Also, there is a certain brand of guitar made in Hawaii named Goodall. They are very good brand, but they are more expensive.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:16 PM

Buffalo Bros. is somewhere around San Dieago, and they have a 100% refundable trade-in policy (in case he doesn't like it) and the best price you'll find on a Taylor. What style does he play?? Hard strumming, fingerpicking, little of both, rock etc??? Let me know because that will determine what guitar will best suit him.
________
vaporite solo

Last edited by masmith; 02-09-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:19 PM

Marissa, while the purchase of an actual guitar is a wonderful idea (and very romantic, if you ask me), guitar tastes are very personal, and a gift certificate might be a better choice. It's possible that his needs would be better filled by a smaller guitar and/or one made of other woods. Taylor's catalog is pretty extensive, so there are a lot of choices. (I'd say take him to the store and have him pick out something, but that's not possible if you're in Hawaii and buying from the mainland.)

Along those lines, how good the 710 is or whether it's a keeper depends entirely on whom you ask, due both to their tastes and income.

I don't mean to discourage you or rob you of the pleasure of handing the guitar to your boyfriend, but I'm sure the idea is to put a guitar in his hands that he'll love as much for its inherent value as for the love with which you're giving it to him.

As for SoCal stores from which to buy via mail order, I suggest www.guitartrader.com and www.buffalobrosguitars.com as a start. Both are reputable and offer excellent prices. (Moderators, if this recommendation is out of line, please let me know).

Best of luck to you, Marissa. I'd say best of luck to your boyfriend too, but it looks like he's already very lucky!
Old 04-16-2004, 12:13 PM

There is a newly listed 1998 710ce on Ebay with a buy it now price of $1000.00. That is dirt cheap. It has some dings and a few finish crazing but is structurally sound. If you emailed him, you could probably get him to mail it at his cost too. Taylors are really, really reasonable right now on Ebay. Definately the lowest I have ever seen.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:39 PM

Marissa, what a thoughtful, loving gift. However, as others have said, it's choice is a very personal thing. What one guitarist likes, another may hate. The likelyhood of your guessing right is pretty slim.

However, there are a couple of ways to accomplish your objective that would make it even better:
1. "Rent" a guitar case, and present it with a note inside, saying something like, "To make your birthday one you will never forget, you may exchange this card for a trip to a guitar shop, where you may pick out the acoustic guitar of your dreams, up to $______." You may not have to include a dollar limit, but my wife certainly would....

2. Arrange for the two of you to drive by a guitar shop, and simply pull into the lot. Surprise him with your plans. You're certain to be kissing right out there in front of God and everybody!

3. If there is no local dealer, simply point him to this site or to a couple of dealers that have been mentioned. (Here's a thread where we nominate our Hall of Fame Taylor Dealers: http://216.7.162.188/forums/showthread.php?t=45029 )

Personally, I'd stay clear of a Gift Certificate, unless it's the kind that Uncle Sam prints in green with the numbers in the corners. Why? Experience. I'd had GC's to "expire" without warning, and my wife once gave me one to a computer store that did not carry what I needed/wanted. I had to settle for a second choice that cost more than my first choice did at another store. I never give Gift Certificates any more, and discourage others from doing so when I can. They have nothing that good old stand-by, cash.

You realize, don't you, that you are required to let us know how this all comes out - what you decide to do, and what he gets.

By the way, if you ever need an new boyfriend, I'm sure there would be several guys here who would be happy to line up for the chance at a Birthday Taylor!

cotten

Last edited by cotten; 04-16-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:00 PM

thank you all so much for you wonderful help and ideas. Evan, my boyfriend enjoys playing music by ben harper and such. I guess both fingerpicking and strumming, equally. I understand that several of the stores that I was looking into have either trade-in policies and/or 30 money back. I think that this should cover me just incase he doesn't like it. As for the great ideas about giving him a gift certificate or surprising him other ways and taking him to the store. I'd love to do that simply to ensure that he would get the perfect guitar for him, only problem is I'm sure he wouldn't pick it out, simply because he would think it's too expensive. I'm leaving for California soon, so I'll be checking in to as many guitar stores around there just to gain a bit more knowledge about guitars in general. I will update you all about everything and take into consideration everything you all suggested. Thanks, Marissa
Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 PM

You should know that Buffalo Brothers upgrade policy does not include tax. If you trade in a guitar you bought there, you still have to pay the full tax on the second guitar--you don't get to apply any of the tax you paid on the first guitar. May seem obvious, but I just want to make sure it's clear.

2004 814 C
2003 714ce L1
Goodall TRD
lots of electrics
Old 04-16-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
By the way, if you ever need an new boyfriend, I'm sure there would be several guys here who would be happy to line up for the chance at a Birthday Taylor!

cotten
Wow... can you be my girlfriend?!

That is FREAKIN awesome. i'm just dying right now cos i don't have either a girlfriend nor a Taylor~ Dream come true for me if those two ever happened

As for SoCal shops, it depends in what part you're gonna be hanging around in. Your best bet is to stay in the LA/Orange County area (McCabes in Santa Monica, West LA Music in West LA etc) or head down to San Diego (Buffalo Bros or Guitar Trader)

Whichever one your man decides, i'm sure the fact that his girlfriend bought it would make it more special
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up

That is really cool!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Marrissa,
Depending where in So Cal...you also might want to try Jim's Music Center in Irvine (Orange County). I received a great deal on a 810 there back in 98. And they have bettered the price from other stores on other guitars I have bought there.

http://www.jimsmusic.com/LOC/loc.html

Happy shopping!!!

Samuel 16:16 - Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.
David
'54 Martin 000-18
'94 Larrivee D-60e
'97 Larrivee D-09
'93 Larrivee LV-19e CA Sp. Edition
'94 Fender Super Deluxe Strat
Old 04-16-2004, 05:17 PM

Red face remember that post

where a guys wife bought him a 614ce i believe as a gift and she told him and then he was all about talking to the person that sold the guitar to her. i think the forum members are dead on when they suggest that a guitar is a pretty personal thing. what i would do instead of trying to sneak around. is on the day of his birthday, say hey, guess what im going to do for your birthday. im going to buy you the guitar of your dreams. then let him pick it out! i think its a great gift idea. but it is a personal choice and he should definately be involved in the process.

p.s.

if you ever break up with him im available : )
2004 Fender "American" Stratocaster Deluxe
2006 Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster
2005 Fender 52 reissue Telecaster
1997 Fender Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster
1992 Gibson Chet Atkins SST
1978 DiGiorgio Conservatorio #2
1967 Vincente Sanchis Badia Classical
www.myspace.com/garagebossa
Old 04-16-2004, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeintheUSA

p.s.

if you ever break up with him im available : )
Yeah, but see, you blew it, you won't let her do the gift the way she wants to.

Don't you guys get it??? That's what makes it special. I wouldn't care if my wife bought me a ukelele if she decided one day to go out and buy me a high end ukelele just because she wanted to do that for me, I would treasure that Uke for the rest of my life. This ain't rocket science guys...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion