The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Is a high end guitar "worth it?"

I just spent $5000 on a keyboard. And I am a guitar player. I am considering returning the keyboard. That five grand could go to a higher end git.

I have eight acoustic guitars. Higher end includes a Martin D35 and a Taylor baritone 8-string. I don't need eight guitars. I should probably sell three or four.

I was wondering if a high end git really makes that much of a difference. If it's like a Martin D41 I once played, I'd say yes. That guitar played so effortlessly! I wonder if any high end guitar could be set up to play so easily. I think I played much better. Sure seemed that way.

I have a thread about needing a guitar that projects louder when played fingerstyle, using flesh only. But I also loved the low action on that D41 for fast strumming/picking. So, I need everything! I guess the question is... for anyone who has a high end guitar, are you glad you bought it? Has it made a difference in your playing OR the sound you achieved, I suppose that is the real question.

And... do you consider $5000 high end?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I just spent $5000 on a keyboard. And I am a guitar player. I am considering returning the keyboard. That five grand could go to a higher end git.

I have eight acoustic guitars. Higher end includes a Martin D35 and a Taylor baritone 8-string. I don't need eight guitars. I should probably sell three or four.

I was wondering if a high end git really makes that much of a difference. If it's like a Martin D41 I once played, I'd say yes. That guitar played so effortlessly! I wonder if any high end guitar could be set up to play so easily. I think I played much better. Sure seemed that way.

I have a thread about needing a guitar that projects louder when played fingerstyle, using flesh only. But I also loved the low action on that D41 for fast strumming/picking. So, I need everything! I guess the question is... for anyone who has a high end guitar, are you glad you bought it? Has it made a difference in your playing OR the sound you achieved, I suppose that is the real question.

And... do you consider $5000 high end?
I consider $4-5K the start of high end and the sky is the limit! It's the old how important is it to you and how deep are your pockets.

Worth is relative, if you can't afford something/anything it's not worth it "to you". Telling somebody else whether something is "worth it" is one of my pet peeves, we can only speak for ourselves.

So, are high end guitars worth it? To me absolutely, I have nothing but high end guitars and a few five figure models, all Martins. I love and play them all, they're worth it "to me", and yes they bring more to the table in my 44 years of playing experience. My Martin 2005 OM-45 Tazmanian Blackwood is "amazing", and folks who had played it say the same thing!

Nobody can answer this for somebody else, we all have different needs, goals, tastes and finances. Play what you love and can afford and let the other guy do the same.....................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM

What keyboard did you buy and why would you spend that amount of money only to return it?

To answer your question, I have a D41 Special and yes they are worth it. By the way, you can get into a brand new one for a lot less than that price you mention.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Some months ago I splashed out on what I would consider to be a reasonably high end Martin - a 000-42. No, it hasn't changed my playing, but what I play sounds so much sweeter with it and the playability is impeccable. I would still play a lot if I didn't have a guitar of this quality, but it's so, so nice to have it all the same!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM

As someone who doesn't currently own a high end guitar(although I've dealt with the same thing in the wrist watch hobby).. I'd say yes. At least for me it will be when the time comes. The only reason I say this is because of the kind of enjoyment I get in playing and practicing guitar. I've learned to play on an absolutely cheap guitar, and I've learned how to make that guitar actually sound good.. heh. So I can't wait to move up the ladder to something nicer. It'll be something I really savor for awhile.

In simple words-" Yes"

i use to think their wasnt alot of difference in guitars in in the upper end area -but you really need to play them - and decide for yourself - some of these upper end guitars may not seem worth it to some , but to put a top end guitar in skilled hands and to hear and feel its sound is simply amazing . Over priced- maybe , maybe not -it depends on you and what you can make the guitar do ( your skill level )-if you only strum or do basic fingerpicking -it is an over priced instrument - but if you really know how to play, its a stepping stone to the next level.

Last edited by Tony Burns; 02-14-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Some months ago I splashed out on what I would consider to be a reasonably high end Martin - a 000-42. No, it hasn't changed my playing, but what I play sounds so much sweeter with it and the playability is impeccable. I would still play a lot if I didn't have a guitar of this quality, but it's so, so nice to have it all the same!
Well said...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Personally, I don't think you need to spend $4-5k to get a high end guitar. My bar for "high end" starts at $2k and that benchmark is pretty consistent for all manufacturers. I think there is a very, very distinct difference between sub $2k and above $2k guitars, however that difference between say a $3k guitar and a $5k guitar isn't as distinct and diminishing return comes into play fast.

I own guitars in various levels of the spectrum, but to me it wasn't worth the price difference of a D-41, 42, or 45 over my wonderful HD-28V when I was looking. Could I afford it? Sure, but didn't feel the want or need at all.

As rmyaddison said above, value is such a subjective term and is very relative to a person's own personal perspective. Where on finds value in a Taylor 914, another might find more value in a Taylor 714, or 414.

My suggestion...start at the $2k+ guitars and work your way up. But try not to let the numbers on the price tag skew your view of what your playing. It can tend to do that.
Martin 000-JBS
Martin LX Jimmy Buffett
Martin DM3MD
Martin D-16GT
Martin Sigma DR-41
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Yes, these higher priced guitars are normally worth the money.
Do not expect that because you have payed out a lot of money, the guitar will play easily.
Almost any good guitar can be set up to play easily.
Actions are unique to the player and what is a bad action for one person, is a perfect action for another.

It's my thinking that any guitar that I buy will need a set up to fit what I want in the guitar.

If you are looking at a guitar in the price that you have posted, you should expect a very nice sounding and good looking guitar that should last a life time.

A Martin D-41 or D-45 would be a very nice addition to a collection.
I'm envious of your dilemma.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

I've had some nice Martins (D-41, D-40, D-93, D-28, etc, etc). Some better than others, but the D-41 was a real nice guitar. It worked well for many styles of play, but I'd probably recommend something a bit smaller bodied with a 1 3/4" nut for fingerstyle specific play. Many good OM/OOO/GA/GC bodied guitar to choose from. Martin makes some good ones, but my favorites are handbuilts. Lots to choose from, and you can get a really nice one for what you spent on that keyboard. Particularly on the current used market. Luck with your decision!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM

To me, whether a guitar will play/sound better as the price increases is dependent on what is causing the price to increase... Certainly "bling" will not make you or the guitar sound different but it will make the price go up.

If you want a high end guitar and want to maximize your dollars, get a "bling-less" hand voiced guitar. To me, that is worth it.

But I also think that a used D-18GE is "worth it" for the money... or a used 714...

Cost/benefit...
Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

If you are strumming and singing, I think a 5K guitar is a waste of money. The differences between a 2k and a 5k are lost in the wake of a singer.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM

"High end" definitely a relative term - there are many out here that would even argue that $5k is not really high end - and I would agree if you look at the base price of $26K for Somogyi

Point is, in my opinion, we only have one life we can live. Relative costs of various items seem to easily get muddled. For instance, some may think $100K is not that much for a house - others may see it as forever unreachable. Even so, it is a roof over your head. A car for $2000 or a car for $50,000? Usually, either one will get you from point A to point B...and so on.

However, when it gets to the cost of guitars, we all seem to shudder at different price points $500, $1K, $2K, $5K, $10K....on up? The point is, what REALLY is important to you from the instrument? We will literally invest 1,000s of hours of our time and hard work to learn to play the instrument half-way decently, then we put on our tightwad hats and go out and dicker over the price of a guitar and end up with some CheapoWazImitationMarTay knock off that makes our playing sound pathetic. Makes no sense to me.

If you want some real sticker shock, price some other concert level string instruments - violins, violas, cellos - or even brass instruments - they too can be explosive in pricing.

Good, well made factory or custom guitars are a real value, in my opinion...but only your heart and ears can tell you the value one will have for you....I would listen to both.

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If you are strumming and singing, I think a 5K guitar is a waste of money. The differences between a 2k and a 5k are lost in the wake of a singer.
You make a good point. I am not a great guitar player. Adequate. This is concerning touring as a folk singer. I need to sound as good as I can. Good equipment helps. The vocal is the key component. But... if a guitar makes ME enjoy it more or, literally, makes my fingers fly over the fretboard easier and effortlessly, I'd say that translates into something that the audience can perceive... my enjoyment. I have a $250 Washburn that I dearly love. It was a "deal." But... if a higher end guitar is special, I want that. I'm willing to pay for that. And I don't mean just brand names, it could be boutique.

And to another poster... when I got back into guitar playing years ago, I had never heard of Taylor. I was testing guitars in a higher end room, having the salesman hand me guitars. I was stunned by a 514ce. So, I went to the Taylor rack and had him hand me Taylor after Taylor. I played that brand up to $10k and you what I chose? A 310kce. Lowest priced Taylor they had. I asked him, "Oh, my, how much is this one?" (I had no idea of price, just going by sound and feel. So, that is what matters to me. Bling means nothing to me. Zero. A guitar over $500 is going to look just fine to me.

I don't have to spend $5k, it can be less!

Someone asked about the keyboard... the policy is I can return it for any reason.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD18JBGuy View Post
Personally, I don't think you need to spend $4-5k to get a high end guitar. My bar for "high end" starts at $2k and that benchmark is pretty consistent for all manufacturers. I think there is a very, very distinct difference between sub $2k and above $2k guitars, however that difference between say a $3k guitar and a $5k guitar isn't as distinct and diminishing return comes into play fast.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD18JBGuy View Post
My suggestion...start at the $2k+ guitars and work your way up. But try not to let the numbers on the price tag skew your view of what your playing. It can tend to do that.
Well said - again....

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion